The Rock Inn in the late 1920s [Photo: Christopher Lathan] (Click for a larger image)
The Rock Bed and Breakfast was originally an inn and in 1748 it was known as The Cock. In the mid 19th century it was renamed to the Rock Inn.
The History of English Bicknor notes that northwest of Short Standing at Hillersland, on the road from Coleford to Goodrich (Herefs.), several
cottages were recorded from 1565 on a green and among these was the Inn.
By 1891 the property was listed as a licensed Alehouse and was owned by Garton & Co., Bristol (it had a rateable value in 1891: £12.0s.0d).
By 1903 it had passed into the hands of the Anglo-Bavarian Brewery, Shepton Mallet, Somerset with a rateable value in 1903: £12.0s.0d and had a closing time of 10pm.
The Landlords are recorded as:
1876,1885,1891 James Gwilliam (also listed as a grocer in 1876)
1902,1903,1906 Levi Harris
1919,1927 Arthur Cooper
1939 Charles James
The Rock Inn closed as a pub around 2004 and became a B&B and tea room and it passed into the hands of Mr. & Mrs. Lathan at around the start of 2008. When the property was purchased a stone, which was apparently above the old fire place, was included and showed 1611 which was reputed to be the date of the original Inn.
The property is still run as a B&B but the tea room is now only opened to pre booked parties such as walking groups or clubs.
The Rock B&B [Photo: Christopher Lathan] (Click for a larger image)
The Anglo-Bavarian Brewery
As a side note the Anglo-Bavarian Brewery was established in 1864 and was called the Shepton Mallet Pale Ale Brewery. It was the first
company to develop pale ale. After being sold in 1871, to Hill, Garton and Company of Southampton, the Pale Ale Brewery was renamed the
Anglo-Bavarian Brewery in 1872. The change in name was a reference to the employment of some brewers from Bavaria in order to produce a German-style
beer and it appears that what is now called lager was brewed from that year and was the as the first lager brewery in the United Kingdom.
In 1890 it was reported that the beer brewed at the Anglo-Bavarian was sold throughout England and the Channel Islands by 250 agents although its main sales were export.
During the first world war they dropped the Bavarian bit from their title to become the Anglo Brewery because of anti-German feelings but this did not help and the brewery was sold up in 1921 but was later resurrected as Anglo-Bavarian Brewery company producing beer and cider.