Longhope villages dates back to Saxon times when, in the Domesday Book, the Manor of Hope was held by two Saxons called Ferne and Ulfeg. It is therefore likely that there was a small village there prior that time. The church, Longhope All Saints' church, is thought to have been built by Norman settlers in the 12th Century and by the 1500s the name was changed to Longhope (or Hope Longa in the church registers) to stop confusion with another Hope in Herefordshire. More details on [ The History of Longhope].
The Chasedale is thought to have been built in around 1870. It is a this large Victorian house "in the dale of the chase", which is the hill which provides a backdrop for the Hotel. Inside, many of the original features of the house have been preserved. This includes the tiled entrance hall and the elaborate ceiling plaster-work in the lounge and restaurant. More details on the [ The Chasedale].
An old postcard of The Chasedale Hotel (Click for a larger image)
The following are several more examples of Chasedale postcards:
The Chasedale Hotel, Ross-on-Wye, Hfrs [Unknown Publisher] (Click for a larger image)
Chasedale Hotel (Multiview) [Unknown Publisher] (Click for a larger image)
Chasedale Hotel, Ross-on-Wye PN1746 [Unknown Publisher] (Click for a larger image)
The Manor, Longhope and Chasedale, Ross-on-Wye guidebook
The Manor, Longhope, and the Chasedale, Ross-on-Wye, were, at this time (thought to be around 1940's), both owned by G. Jorden and he ran The Manor whilst the Chasedale was managed by Miss Rawling.
The Manor is now a nursing home whilst the Chasedale is still a hotel run by Nigel & Gill Gibbs (in 2007).
The Manor, Longhope and Chasedale, Ross-on-Wye guidebook (Click for a larger image)
A photo of the Manor (Click for a larger image)
History of the Manor (Click for a larger image)
The Manor tariff and photo of the Chasedale (Click for a larger image)
History of Ross and tariff of the Chasedale (Click for a larger image)