next The Prospect Water Supply previous

Locations:

Ross-on-Wye

Almshouses

Church Street

Next to the church are some of the Ross Almshouses in Church Street. The Tudor-fronted Rudhall almshouses in Church Street are still inhabited. These were founded in the fourteenth century and rebuilt in 1575. They were restored relatively recently in 1960, by the Ross Charity Trustees and at this time the five original houses were changed into three larger houses without changing the fronts. These Almshouses are probably some of the oldest buildings left in Ross with parts of the Church probably being the oldest.

There are records of people who were not wealthy leaving money for the upkeep of the almshouses showing their importance within the community. For example, an Alice Spencer, who was just a servant at Rudhall, left money to the Rudhall almshouses in 1677.

Rudhall Almshouses Ross-on-Wye
The Rudhall Almshouses
(Click for a larger image)

A Postcard of Rudhall Almshouses
The Rudhall Almshouses postcard
[Unknown publisher]
(Click for a larger image)

On the postcard it says:


THIS Hospital, of very ancient foundation, appears to have been purchased by one of the Rudhale family together with a rent-charge of four groats per annum issuing out of the Church Orchard or Orleton's Court (Alton Court) Farm; and in 1755 it was repaired by William Rudhale of Rudhale, and vested in his heirs for poor persons of Ross.




next The Prospect Water Supply previous


[Page updated: Feb 15 2011 13:31:58]






Search the site

Ross-on-Wye.com & TheVista.co.uk
2002-2012 All Rights Reserved
Guestbook :: Contact details :: RSS News Feed News Feed

Share this article
Facebook Digg Reddit Magnolia Yahoo Google Stumbleupon Technorati Delicious Newsvine
[ Page views: 25646 :: Total page views: 5329239 :: Total visits: 4756791 ]
[ Since: 22:55 29 July 2005 ]
[ Page gen. time: 0.3541 ][ Page enc: gzip][ SERVER - Load: 422% ]