next Five Ways Greytree and Homs Road previous


Ross-on-Wye

The George Hotel

A Brief History

The George Hotel was known to have existed prior to 1549 when it formed part of St. Mary's Chantry1.

It was sold in the late 18th Century and was recorded as having several water pumps (one for soft water and one for hard water), stables, a cellarage, a bake-house and brew-house.

In 1825, the George Hotel must have had its frontage changed when Gloucester Road was built. Its frontage used to be onto the High Street but the addition of the road meant that it then faced onto Gloucester Road instead thus changing the layout of the building.

George Hotel
A postcard of the George Hotel in Ross
[unknown publisher]
(Click for a larger image)

George Hotel Advert
An advert for the George Hotel2

A George Hotel jug
A jug from the George Hotel
(Click for a larger image)

The George Hotel had its own decorated china such as this jug which has a decorated handle and crest.

George Hotel jug bottom
The bottom of the George Hotel jug
(Click for a larger image)

The George Hotel crest
The crest of the George Hotel
(Click for a larger image)
George Hotel jug handle
The handle of the George Hotel jug
(Click for a larger image)

The Redevelopment

The George Hotel
The George Hotel as seen from the High Street
[Photo: J.C.Coombes]
(Click for a larger image)
George Hotel
The George Hotel as seen from Gloucester Road
[Photo: J.C.Coombes]
(Click for a larger image)

The George Hotel partially demolished
The George Hotel as seen from the High Street when partially demolished
[Photo: J.C.Coombes]
(Click for a larger image)
George Hotel partially demolished
The George Hotel as seen from Gloucester Road when partially demolished
[Photo: J.C.Coombes]
(Click for a larger image)

The George Hotel site after demolition
The George Hotel site after demolition
[Photo: J.C.Coombes]
(Click for a larger image)

Finally, in 1960, the George Hotel and several adjoining shops, including E.C. Nicholls Radio and Television shop (who moved to the opposite side of the High Street) and Ceejay (who moved to 5 High Street), were demolished and George Place was built in its place which as as seen today.

The first businesses that took over the shops on the corner and just up the High Street were the Edinburgh Woollen Mill and the Job Centre. The Job Centre has since moved to Gloucester Road and the Edinburgh Woollen Mill has taken over their previous premises.


George Place (17/05/2008)
George Place as seen in 2008 (Click for a larger image)



next Five Ways Greytree and Homs Road previous


[Page updated: Feb 25 2014 22:30:55]






Search the site

Ross-on-Wye.com & TheVista.co.uk
2002-2012 All Rights Reserved
Guestbook :: Contact details :: RSS News Feed News Feed

Share this article
Facebook Digg Reddit Magnolia Yahoo Google Stumbleupon Technorati Delicious Newsvine
[ Page views: 68808 :: Total page views: 5930510 :: Total visits: 5325782 ]
[ Since: 22:55 29 July 2005 ]
[ Page gen. time: 0.1685 ][ Page enc: gzip][ SERVER - Load: 450% ]