Inside and around John Kyrle House are a number of interesting features both related to John Kyrle and to people who have used the building since he was there.
In the house, on the upper floors, is a considerable amount of original panelling, such as this seen in what was John Kyrle's parlour.
There is also a punched door, as seen below left, which used to be part of a pair of doors that were on cupboards on either side of the main fireplace in the house. The punching depicts the coat of arms of John Kyrle.
Outside of the house is a studded door, below right, also depicting John Kyrle's coat of arms, and which bares the year 1680.
Other items of Interest
On one of the windows in the house is some early graffiti which states:
Mr. Brookes let this house to Mesrs Jones & Love Bakers May 29th 1824
Below that is a latin phase:
Amor nummi crescit quantum ipse pecunia crescit
Which seems to mean:
The love of wealth grows as the wealth itself grows or The love of money grows as our wealth increases.
[Page updated: Jun 09 2012 21:45:08]