next Henry Street Kyrle Street previous


Ross-on-Wye

High Street

The High Street, Ross-on-Wye, leads from where it meets Edde Cross Street, Wilton Road and Wye Street then down between the end of St. Mary's Street and the Corn Exchange, past the end of Church Street, round between the Market House and John Kyrle's House as it runs through the Market Place and then it bares right at the junction with Broad Street and Gloucester Road passing by King Georges Rest until it almost immediately finishes when it meets Old Gloucester Road and Copse Cross Street.

The building which is the Old Court House, in the photo below left, is currently a gallery to the right and a B&B in the left-hand part.

High Street Ross-on-Wye
The Old Court House
(Click for a larger image)

This part of the High Street, from St. Mary's Street to the top of Dock Pitch (now part of Wye Street) was, in the 17th century, called Wilton Gate, although the actual location of any gate that may have been here is unknown. Following this, in the 18th century, this section was called Townsend and until later still, and in the present day, it became part of the High Street.

High Street Ross-on-Wye
The view up the High Street from the the junction with St. Mary's Street towards Edde Cross Street
(Click for a larger image)

The Old Court house is a 17th century grade II listed building near to the centre of Ross-on-Wye, with some parts believed to date back further. It has a wealth of oak beams, ingle nook fireplaces and original stone walls along with a Folly Garden. Back in the 17th century it was the home of Aquilla Smith Doctor of Physics. Other owners have included doctors, clergy and a famous surveyor

And this is followed by the Old Book Store.

This used to be two shops but has since been made into a single larger one.

High Street Ross-on-Wye
The Old Book Store in the High Street
(Click for a larger image)

The Swan and Falcon Inn

The Swan and Falcon Inn Ross-on-Wye
Site of The Swan and Falcon Inn
(Click for a larger image)

Opposite is the old site of The Swan and Falcon Inn (now private residences).

This was visited by Nelson in 1802 and John Byng, the 5th Viscount Torrington (18/02/1742 to 08/01/1813), in 1787.

In August 1802, Lord Nelson visited Wales and the Forest of Dean. He was on a pleasure trip with Sir William Hamilton and his wife Emma, who was also Nelson's mistress. The party passed through Ross-on-Wye and they stopped in the Swan and Falcon Inn and then travelled on into Pembrokeshire, where Sir William owned land.

John Byng was a famous diarist, and he wrote the Torrington Diaries in which he mentions a visit to Ross during one of his journeys.

The shop that can just be seen to the right of the doors that is now "Parklands Gallery", used to be "Castle & Co." who were wine and beer merchants.


Lloyds Bank

Then is passes Lloyds Bank at the junction with St. Mary's Street.

Loyds Bank Ross-on-Wye
Lloyds Bank Ross-on-Wye
(Click for a larger image)

In the postcard view below left, to the right can be seen a bank followed by a shop selling Judges Postcards. Next along is Brown and Seymour Ltd which has various signs about hair cutting outside. Further down on the corner of Church Street is a shop with a dentists above it. On the left is Radleys Complete Outfitters and a bit further down can be seen the sign for the Kings Head Hotel.

The High Street Ross-on-Wye
A postcard view of the High Street Ross-on-Wye
[No. 67702 published by Friths]
(Click for a larger image)
The High Street Ross-on-Wye
A postcard view of the top end of the High Street
[Unknown publisher]
(Click for a larger image)

In the postcard view above right, is a shot from slightly further down the street. In the middle of the shot is a person riding a bike down the street whilst a motorbike and sidecar is coming up the street and following that is a car. To the right is Heals who were outfitters and further down, on the corner of Church Street is Turners Shoe shop. The shop entrance still has Turners Rightform Shoes decorating it [image]. On the right can be seen the signs for the New Theatre Cinema and the Kings Head Hotel.


The Corn Exchange

Opposite this is the Corn Exchange.

The Corn Exchange was built in 1862 and was designed by Thomas Nicholson.

Corn Exchange Ross-on-Wye
The Corn Exchange on the High Street Ross-on-Wye
(Click for a larger image)

This is a postcard view looking down the High Street with the Kings Head immediately on the left. On the right is a comparative view taken recently.

The Kings Head
The High Street and Kings Head
[Published by Judges]
(Click for a larger image)
High Street Ross-on-Wye
The view down from the junction with St. Mary's Street towards the Market House
(Click for a larger image)

From the day the Corn Exchange opened the first floor was always associated with entertainment.

Regular events like cabaret, bands, poetry readings, opera, plays and roller-skating, which was all the fashion in the town at point, were held there.

The hall was granted a license to be a cinema in 1922 and took the name 'The New Theatre' and kept this name until its destruction in 1939 due to fire.

Corn Exchange Ross-on-Wye
The Corn Exchange on the High Street Ross-on-Wye
(Click for a larger image)

The Capital and Counties Bank

Capital and Counties Bank Ross-on-Wye
The site of the Capital and Counties Bank on the High Street Ross-on-Wye
(Click for a larger image)

The there is a building opposite on the other side of St. Mary's Street from Lloyds and that was the Capital and Counties Bank until 1918.

The building is currently offices or a private residence.


The Ross Gazette Office

This building was the Ross Gazette Office between 1883 and 1915 when the site lease was sold to Midland Bank and it moved to Man of Ross House.

The site of the Gazette Office until 1914
The site of the Ross Gazette Office on the High Street Ross-on-Wye
(Click for a larger image)

Waterfall Antiques Ross-on-Wye
Waterfall Antiques on the High Street Ross-on-Wye
(Click for a larger image)

This shop was Turners shoe shop and the mosaic in the entrance still shows this.


This shop was Ross Pet Supplies (or something similar - I am not sure exactly) during the 1980's and they closed in the late 1980's and the shop has been empty since then.

Unfortunately this shop is bound up in some controversy as who owns the shop is unknown hence nothing can currently be done with it.

During the 1950's, this was Baileys and they sold leather goods.

Site of Ross Pet Supplies
The site of Ross Pet Supplies on the High Street Ross-on-Wye
(Click for a larger image)

High Street Ross-on-Wye
The view up the High Street from the Market House to the junction with St. Mary's Street
(Click for a larger image)

The view below is pre-1915 and the Ross Gazette office is still shown on the corner of the High Street and Church Street on the left.

To the right of the shot, there is the Crystal Cafe and Board House which also did Accommodation for Cycles. This is currently Annie's restaurant. Next up the street is the Kings Head Hotel and then there is the Corn Exchange which is now offices and Grandma Peggy's sweet shop.

The High Street Ross-on-Wye
A postcard view of the High Street Ross-on-Wye
[No. 54484 published by Friths]
(Click for a larger image)

The Saracen's Head

This building was the Saracen's Head and is recorded as being open during the 17th century although the exact date it first opened is not clear.

This half timbered building used to be hidden under a layers of plaster until it started to be removed sometime in the late 1890's or early 1900's. At the turn of the century it was covered over but by 1905 the plaster had been removed from the walls of the second floor. It wasn't until just after 1920 that the first floor was uncovered leaving it looking pretty much as it does today, although the ground floor shop fronts have changed many times over the years.

During the 18th century the building was split in two and the Saracen's Head occupied the left hand side with a shop on the right. In 1931 the shop was occupied by Ernest Butterworth who was a Photographic and Dispensing Chemist. The Inn finally closed its door's in 1969 and was then converted into a shop. It was recently 'The Basement' which was a youth centre (or something like that - I am not entirely sure) but currently (10-9-05) it is empty and up for Let.

Saracen`s Head Ross-on-Wye
The site of the Saracen's Head on the High Street Ross-on-Wye
(Click for a larger image)

Saracen`s Head Ross-on-Wye
The carvings on what was the Saracen's Head
(Click for a larger image)

This building is famous for its rich decoration including carvings of Tudor roses, pointy bearded heads (as seen to the left) and grapes.

Philip Price, the vicar in Ross during the time of the Plague, was turned out of his living by the Puritans and the landlord of this inn reputedly gave him shelter and that he spent his last days here.


This is a postcard view (published by R.E. Davies) of a collision on the High Street between a bus and a lorry outside of the Saracens Head Inn (on the right) sometime between 1922 and 1939. The bus belonged to B.Barnes & Sons who were based in Bury Road Rawtenstall which is in Lancashire and the lorry may well have been one of Llewellyn's who were based in the Station Yard in Ross.

A collision on the High Street
A postcard view of a collision on the High Street
[Thanks to Richard Mayo]
(Click for a larger image)

Kyrle House

Kyrle House Ross-on-Wye
The house where on John Kyrle lived on the High Street Ross-on-Wye
(Click for a larger image)

This was where John Kyrle lived. He was born in Dymock in 1637 and was then educated at Gloucester Grammar School followed by being a gentleman commoner at Balliol College, Oxford. He moved to Ross in 1660 and lived in "Kyrle House" beside the market house. Following his death in 1724, it became an Inn called "The King's Arms". This closed in 1805 and was then divided into a holiday flat and various shop units. From 1915 to around 2000 this was the home of the the Ross Gazette which is the local newspaper. It then became Colemans stationers.


The Orange mobile phone shop, that can be seen to the right of Kyrle House, was, in 1905, Taynton (JM) who was a fruitier, florist and greengrocer. By the 1950's this was Bryants who where also vegetable and wholesale merchants. They had a box like Trojan van for doing their deliveries.


The two postcards below and the one to the left show John Kyrle's House Ross at various different times.

Below left shows the building in 1911 when H. C. Jefferies had a Printers and Stationers shop there, along with a public library. Mr. Jefferies had taken over the stationers from Powles. In 1914, The Ross Gazette took over the premises and changed the frontage; they then continued to run the library. The picture to the left shows a much wider angle, also showing the shop next door, which was Harts the Chemists.

John Kyrles House
A postcard view of John Kyrles House, Ross
[unknown publisher]
(Click for a larger image)

H.C.Jefferies
A postcard view of H.C.Jefferies shop in 1911
[published by H.C.Jefferies]
(Click for a larger image)
The High Street
A postcard view of the Ross Gazette shop post 1914
[published by Ross Gazette]
(Click for a larger image)

Kyrle House
A view of Kyrle House showing Powle's shop
[Unknown publisher]
(Click for a larger image)

This is a great postcard showing the frontage of Kyrle House when Matthews and Powles had shops there (circa 1900). Below are the two shop windows in greater detail.


Powles window
Powles window
(Click for a larger image)
Matthews window
Matthews window
(Click for a larger image)

John Kyrle's Summer House

Behind Kyrle House is John Kyrle's Summer House (two postcard views below) which used to belong to the shop and various shop keepers have done tours in the past. It has since been sold for private use.

The John Kyrle Summer House
The John Kyrle Summer House, Ross c.1903
[Unknown publisher]
(Click for a larger image)
Ross - Man of Ross Summer House
Ross - Man of Ross' Summer House c.1907

(Click for a larger image)

This is a postcard (published by Frith's - no. 67701) view of the arches under the Market House showing the High Street from around 1914 (World War 1).

To the right of the picture, is H.C. Jefferies news agent and printers (the shop with Powle over the door) with "All the war news" written next to the door dating the card to World War I and the "Ross Gazette" moved into that shop in around 1915.

Next, on the left of H.C. Jefferies, is "Matthews Chemist & Drugist" with it's signs on the outside of the shop.

Kyrle House Ross-on-Wye
A postcard view out from under the Market House Ross-on-Wye
(Click for a larger image)

Kyrle House Ross-on-Wye
A T. Matthews, Ross pill pot
(Click for a larger image)

This is a wooden pill pot from T. Matthews Chemist Ross, with The Pills, Mrs Smith 65,53408 written on the lid.

The pot has been turned from a piece of wood with great skill and the lid fits perfectly. Amazing to think this is equivalent to the mass-produced plastic pots we use today.


This is a porcelain pot that used to contain Areca Nut Tooth Paste prepared and sold by Thomas Matthews, Chemist Ross, with a picture of John Kyrle on the lid.

The pot top and base are chipped and damaged but it is still an interesting example.

Thomas Matthews toothpaste pot
A Thomas Matthews toothpaste pot lid
(Click for a larger image)

J.F.Hart bottle
A J.F.Hart bottle
(Click for a larger image)

Harts the Chemists was run first by J.H.Hart in 1914 and by 1933 it was run by J.F.Hart and the bottle shown here was dispensed by Mr. J.F. Hart. When Mr. Hart retired in around 1965 the name J.F.Hart continued to be used by the subsequent owners of the shop which included Mr. B. W. Watson and Mr. B.R. Butler M.P.S.


Kyrle House Ross-on-Wye
A postcard view out from under the Market House Ross-on-Wye
(Click for a larger image)

This is a postcard (published by Frith's - no. 84590 [I think]) view out from the arches under the Market House showing the High Street from around 1916.

This is a later view out from under the market arches. This view is probably around 1916 because this was when the "Ross Gazette" moved from its original location at the junction of Church Street and High Street down to Kyrle House.


This is the High Street and Market House seen from around the Gloucester Road junction.

More details can be found in the old pictures section here.

High Street Ross-on-Wye
The view up the High Street from Market Place up the side of the Market House
(Click for a larger image)
High Street Ross-on-Wye
The Market Place
(Click for a larger image)

High Street Ross-on-Wye
The view from the Market Place up towards the
Copse Cross Street and Old Gloucester Road junction
(Click for a larger image)

This is the view up the High Street towards the point where it meets Copse Cross Street and Old Gloucester Road. To the left used to be the Rosswyn Inn, which closed due to a fire in the bar area, and is now up for sale with permission for conversion into flats.


King George's Rest

This shop was until recently one of the two shops used by Wye Electrical Services. Originally this was a pub that was opened to commemorate the visit to the town by King George IV, in 1821, and the subsequent upset this caused.

In 1821, the main passage through the town was up Wye Street (called Dock Pitch at the time) because Wilton Road had not been built at this time. Then travellers went along the High Street and out of the Town along Old Gloucester Road (probably called Arthurs Lane at that time) as Gloucester Road had not been built at this time. This meant horses and carriages had to go around the sharp corner between the High Street and Old Gloucester Road and along the narrow street.

King George`s Rest Ross-on-Wye
King George's Rest on the High Street Ross-on-Wye
(Click for a larger image)

The Nag`s Head Ross-on-Wye
The site of the Nag's Head on the High Street Ross-on-Wye
(Click for a larger image)

On the corner between the High Street and Old Gloucester Road was the Nag's Head Inn (now converted into a shop) and on the day the King came, a carrier had parked his wagon here whilst he unloaded and the horses had been removed.

The King had to wait in a Pub called The Butchers Arms whilst the blockage was cleared and he was decidedly 'unhappy' about this and set about planning the towns future and he threatened to remove the town from the coaching route unless this was sorted out. Because of this, in 1825 the current Gloucester Road was constructed and later The Butchers Arms was renamed to commemorate the visit.


The building in the middle is the back of the Kyrle Summer House, which is behind Kyrle House, and is now a private residence.

The road shown in the middle bottom of the shot is one of the ancient roads in Ross and is still cobbled. It shows signs of wear from the passing of carts and similar forms of transport.

High Street Ross-on-Wye
Old buildings opposite the end of Old Gloucester Road where it meets the high street
(Click for a larger image)

High Street Ross-on-Wye
The view from the end of the High Street back towards the Market Place
(Click for a larger image)

This is the view back down toward the Market Place from the point where Copse Cross Street, the High Street and Old Gloucester Road meet.


Old Photos of the High Street

These are various pictures of the High Street in Ross-on-Wye.

This is a postcard view of the High Street Ross-on-Wye. On the right is W. Raymond, who were a shoe specialists, next to that is the Ross Gazette Office and on the corner is Harts Chemists. To the left can be seen the George Hotel and Garage which was demolished and replaced by George Place.

The High Street
A postcard view of the corner of the High Street
[No. 108 unknown publisher]
(Click for a larger image)

John Kyrles House
A postcard view of John Kyrles House, Ross
[unknown publisher]
(Click for a larger image)

The two postcards below and the one to the left show John Kyrle's House Ross at various different times.

Below left shows the building in 1911 when H. C. Jefferies had a Printers and Stationers shop there, along with a library. Mr. Jefferies had taken over the stationers from Powles.

In 1914, The Ross Gazette took over the premises and changed the frontage; they continued to run the library.

The picture to the left shows a much wider angle, also showing the shop next door, which was Harts the Chemists.


H.C.Jefferies
A postcard view of H.C.Jefferies shop in 1911
[published by H.C.Jefferies]
(Click for a larger image)
The High Street
A postcard view of the Ross Gazette shop post 1914
[published by Ross Gazette]
(Click for a larger image)

Tudor Tea Rooms

The Tudor Tea Rooms was well known as a cafe within the town. This was on the High Street and is where the Town Barber shop is today.

Tudor Tea Rooms, Ross-on-Wye
Tudor Tea Rooms, Ross-on-Wye c.1938
[Published: Unknown]
(Click for a larger image)

Accident in Town

The High Street
A postcard view of a collision on the High Street
[many thanks to Richard Mayo]
(Click for a larger image)

This is a postcard view (published by R.E. Davies) of a collision between a bus and a lorry on the High Street outside of the Saracens Head Inn sometime between 1922 and 1939. The bus belonged to B.Barnes & Sons who were based in Bury Road Rawtenstall which is in Lancashire and the lorry may well have been one of Llewellyn's who were based in the Station Yard, Ross.


This view must be pre-1915 as the Ross Gazette office is still shown on the corner of the High Street and Church Street.

To the right of the shot, there is the Crystal Cafe and Board House which also did Accommodation for Cycles, and this is currently Annie's restaurant. Next up the street is the Kings Head Hotel (which still remains) and then there is the Corn Exchange which is now offices and Grandma Peggy's sweet shop.

The High Street Ross-on-Wye
A postcard view of the High Street Ross-on-Wye
[No. 54484 published by Friths]
(Click for a larger image)

The bottom of the Corn Exchange was Banister and Foxwell which was a clothes shop and my father remembers visiting there in the 1950's to get what was probably his primary school uniform. He remembers that it was a dark shop as the blinds where nearly always extended out of the front of the shop to stop the light fading the clothes. They also had curtains that were hung on the outside of the windows to also help stop the light. Opposite this was Heals which was a haberdashery and one of my aunties used to work there.

On the left is the Gazette Office Printers and Booksellers which was where the Ross Gazette newspaper was printed along with various other adverts, guides and publicity for the town and its shops, regatta programs and books. On the walls next to the entrances appear to be various views of Ross and St. Mary's Church. Between the Gazette Office and the next shop up is a sign saying Vaughans The Works and this could possibly relate to something they published and were advertising. Slightly further up appears to be a clothing or drapers. Then on the corner with St. Mary's Street is Lloyds Bank.


High Street from the Market House

The High Street Ross-on-Wye in 1915
A view of the High Street Ross-on-Wye in 1915
(Click for a larger image)
The High Street Ross-on-Wye in 2011
A view of the High Street Ross-on-Wye in 2011
(Click for a larger image)

These two photos, both supplied by David Bruce, show how little Ross High Street has changed in almost 100 years.

The photo on the left was taken in 1915 and comes from the collection of MSP. The placard announces that a German Cruiser has been sunk. On the far left is 40 High Street which was Lawrence and Fowler for many years. They were a Newsagents, Stationers and Printers and they also printed the Ross Gazette. They sold Post Cards, Greeting Cards, Goss China, Royal Devon Art Pottery, Fancy Goods, Toys Presents and they delivered papers daily. It later became a furniture shop (Herefordshire Furniture) for a short period.

The building was purchased and became the Antique Teashop, which was a quirky old style teashop. In 2007 it was sold again to David and Sara Bruce who renovated the entire building and opened Pots and Pieces Teashop and Gallery in March 2008. It is now a popular meeting place for locals and visitors to the Town can enjoy loose leaf tea, great coffee and a wonderful array of homemade cakes. There is also an unusual collection of giftware on display for customers to browse while they sit and relax.

It is interesting to note the original shop next door (T. Bannister and Co.) which either caught fire or became unstable as was demolished. It was replaced with the current building in 1921 which is now the Ross Cookshop.


High Street from the junction with St. Mary's Street

The High Street Ross-on-Wye
A postcard view of the High Street Ross-on-Wye
[No. 67702 published by Friths]
(Click for a larger image)

To the right can be seen a bank followed by a shop selling Judges Postcards. Next along is Brown and Seymour Ltd which has various signs about hair cutting outside. Further down on the corner of Church Street is a shop with 43 - Kyrle written on it and obviously a dentists above.

On the left is Radleys Complete Outfitters and a bit further down can be seen the sign for the Kings Head Hotel.


This is a shot from slightly further down the street. In the middle of the shot is a person riding a bike down the street whilst a motorbike and sidecar is coming up the street and following that is a car.

To the right is Heals who were outfitters and further down, on the corner of Church Street is Turners Shoe shop (the shop entrance still has Turners Rightform Shoes decorating it [image]). On the right can be seen the signs for the New Theatre Cinema and the Kings Head Hotel.

The High Street Ross-on-Wye
A postcard view of the top end of the High Street
[Unknown publisher]
(Click for a larger image)

Broad Street
Ross on Wye High St.
[Published by Judges]
(Click for a larger image)

Shop Fronts

The shops/companies using the buildings is based on adverts from Ross Guide Books (so the dates are based on the estimations of the age of the guidebook) and when, more recently, photos have been taken of the current or recent businesses to use the buildings.

The lists of companies/shops at the addresses is not complete because if they did not advertise then they may not have been identified. The dates shown indicate when either adverts were noted or photos have been taken rather than when the shop or business opened.

4 High Street

  • [2009] Parkfields Gallery
  • [2006] Parkfields Gallery
  • [2006] Elder Antiques
  • [1975] Furnishing Crafts Limited
  • [1968] Furnishing Crafts Limited
  • [1965] Ross Gallery
  • [1960] Castle & Co. Ltd
  • [1949] Castle & Co. Ltd
  • [1910] Lewis

Parkfields Gallery
4 High Street - Parkfields Gallery - 4 April 2006
4 High Street in 2006
(Click for a larger image)

Lewis
4 High Street circa 1910
4 High Street circa 1910
(Click for a larger image)

Lewis Grocery, Provisioners, Wines, Spirits and Ales
Lewis Grocery, Provisioners, Wines, Spirits and Ales1
(Click for a larger image)

12 High Street

  • [2009] Traditional Chinese Medicine
  • [2006] Traditional Chinese Medicine
  • [2003] "Splash"
  • [1975] Stooke, Hill & Co.
  • [1971] Serendipity

12 High Street circa 1971
12 High Street circa 1971
(Click for a larger image)
Serendipity
Serendipity Antiques2
(Click for a larger image)

15 High Street

  • [2009] Edinburgh Woollen Mill
  • [1980?] Job Centre
  • [1960] Knocked down when George Hotel removed
  • [Pre 1960] Ceejay
  • [????] Estate Agents??
  • [1933] C. N. Greenway (Grocers)

15 High Street (Edinburgh Woollen Mill) on 15th November 2009
Edinburgh Woollen Mill on 15th November 2009
(Click for a larger image)

15 High Street circa 1980
15 High Street circa 1980?
[Photo: Edinburgh Woollen Mill]
(Click for a larger image)
Job Centre
Job Centre
[Photo: Edinburgh Woollen Mill]
(Click for a larger image)

18 High Street

  • [2009] Empty shop
  • [2006] Empty
  • [2006] Mini Mayhem
  • [1999] Croft Framing
  • [1999] Claire Verity Studio
  • [1960] Harold J. Powell
  • [1905] AJ Stephens

Mini Mayhem
18 High Street - Mini Mayhem - 4 April 2006
31 High Street in 2006
(Click for a larger image)

A. J. Stephens
31 High Street circa 1910
18 High Street circa 1910
(Click for a larger image)

A. J. Stephens Dairy and Tea Rooms
A. J. Stephens Dairy and Tea Rooms1
(Click for a larger image)

19 High Street

  • [2009] Empty shop
  • [2006] Empty
  • [2006] Infinity Tattoo
  • [1999] Croft Framing
  • [1970] G. & B. Sports
  • [1960] Harold J. Powell
  • [1905] AJ Stephens

Infinity
19 High Street - Infinity - 4 April 2006
19 High Street in 2006
(Click for a larger image)

In 2006, Infinity Tattoo and Piercing moved from 19 High Street to 25 High Street Ross-on-Wye.


20 High Street

  • [2009] Empty shop
  • [2006] Kitchen shop?
  • [1992] Scimitar DIY
  • [1988] Writing and Advertising Services
  • [1988] Scimitar DIY
  • [1988] Bradley Hill Workshop
  • [1980?] Scimitar DIY
  • [1975] Rowberry & Co.
  • [1960] Nags Head Inn/Hotel
  • [1933] Nag's Head Hotel
  • [1753] Nags Head Inn/Hotel

Scimitar DIY

Scimitar DIY Advert - 1992
Scimitar DIY Advert c. 19924
(Click for a larger image)

27 High Street

  • [2009] Pye Powder
  • [2006] Pye Powder
  • [1980] Ross Travel
  • [????] Ross Travel Worldchoice
  • [1975] Ross Travel Agency
  • [1949] South Western Gas Board
  • [1938] Ross Gas Company Limited
  • [1936] Ross Gas Co. Ltd
  • [1952] B&B
  • [1960] B&B

27 High Street c.1980
27 High Street c.1980
(Click for a larger image)

Ross Travel - c.1980
Ross Travel c. 1980
[Photo: Edinburgh Woollen Mill]
(Click for a larger image)

31 High Street

  • [2009] Empty shop
  • [2007] Violet
  • [2006] Black & White
  • [2006] Empty shop
  • [2006] Bizarre Bazaar
  • [2005] Relics
  • [1975] Tony Netting
  • [1968] Tony Netting
  • [1965] Tony Netting
  • [1960] Tony Netting
  • [1910] Dampier, Son and Wigmor

Bizarre Bazaar
31 High Street - Bizarre Bizaar - 4 April 2006
31 High Street in 2006
(Click for a larger image)

Tony Netting
31 High Street - Tony Netting - 1987
31 High Street in 1987
[Photo: J.C.Coombes]
(Click for a larger image)

Tony Netting was a Chartered Surveyor and had a business as a auctioneer, valuer and estate agents which he ran from his shop on the High Street, Ross.

In 1987 Tony Netting's business was aquired by Cross and James, this photo was taken just after this.


Dampier, Son and Wigmor
31 High Street circa 1910
31 High Street circa 1910
(Click for a larger image)
Dampier, Son and Wigmor
Dampier, Son and Wigmor Stock Salesmen and General Auctioneers1
(Click for a larger image)

33 High Street

  • [2009] Special Occasions
  • [2006] Special Occasions
  • [1996] Seconds Ahead
  • [1990] Seconds shop??
  • [1975] Fine Fare
  • [1980?] Currys
  • [1952] Burtons
  • [1949] Burtons
  • [1947] Burtons
  • [1938] Burtons
  • [1938] J. H. Hart
  • [1936] J. H. Hart

33 High Street c.1980
33 High Street c.1980
(Click for a larger image)

33 High Street - Currys - c. 1980
Currys
[Photo: Edinburgh Woollen Mill]
(Click for a larger image)

34 High Street (Man of Ross House)

  • [2009] KBL Group Services Limited (Bathrooms)
  • [2008] Shop empty
  • [2008] Elegance
  • [2006] Diva
  • [2004] Diva International Ltd
  • [????] Cornucopia
  • [1999] Man of Ross Galley
  • [1981] Harts Chemist (B.R. Butler M.P.S.)
  • [1975] J. F. Hart Ltd
  • [1938] J. F. Hart limited
  • [1933] J. F. Hart
  • [1929] Hart
  • [1923] J. H. Hart
  • [1914] J. H. Hart (late Matthews)
  • [1900] T. Matthews M.P.S.
  • [1876] Thomas Matthews
  • [1868] Thomas Roper
  • [1850] Cary Cocks & Roper
  • [1830] William Cary Cocks
  • [1805] Samuel Philpot Brookes
  • [pre-1800] King's Arms Inn

T. Matthews
34 High Street circa 1910
34 High Street circa 1910
(Click for a larger image)
T. Matthews Dispensing and Family Chemists
T. Matthews Dispensing and Family Chemists1
(Click for a larger image)

38 High Street

  • [2009] Town Barbers
  • [2006] Town Barbers
  • [2004??] Peterstow Bakery
  • [1975] W. Harris & Sons - Fresh flowers
  • [1971] W. Harris & Sons
  • [1969] W. Harris & Sons - Fresh flowers
  • [1968] W. Harris & Son - Fresh flowers
  • [1968] W. Harris & Son - Choice Fruit
  • [1965] W. Harris & Sons - Fresh flowers
  • [1949] Tudor Tea Rooms
  • [1946] Tudor Tea Rooms
  • [1936] Tudor Tea Rooms
  • [1933] Tudor Tea Rooms

Tudor Tea Rooms
38 High Street circa 1938
38 High Street circa 1938
(Click for a larger image)
T. Matthews Dispensing and Family Chemists
Tudor Tea Rooms, Ross-on-Wye
[Published: Unknown]
(Click for a larger image)

40 High Street

  • [2011] Pots and Pieces Teashop and Gallery
  • [2007] Pots and Pieces Teashop and Gallery
  • [2006] Antique Tea Shop
  • [2004] Antique Tea Shop
  • [????] Hereford Furniture
  • [1975] Lawrence and Fowler (prop. A. C. Fowler newsagents, printers and tobacconist)
  • [1950] Lawrence and Fowler (prop. A. C. Fowler - Printers, stationers, fancy dealers and news agents)
  • [1900] Lawrence and Fowler
  • [pre-1883] Ross Gazette Office

2006 & 2011

The Antique Teashop was an oldy worldy tea shop with different bone china tea sets for each table and piles of cakes on the side cupboard. It had a mixture of different rugs covering the floor which sloped towards the front of the shop. No two chairs at the numerous tables were the same and the lady who ran it was very welcoming and friendly and couldn't do enough to help her customers. It was a relaxing and peaceful place where people regularly went to read their newspapers and drink tea.

In 2007 the lady retired and it was bought by David Bruce and his wife who renovated it and reopened it as "Pots and Pieces Teashop and Gallery" which it remains today.

Antique Tea Shop in 2006
40 High Street circa 1915
(Click for a larger image)
Pots and Pieces in 2011
Pots and Pieces in 2011
[Photo: David Bruce]
(Click for a larger image)

1915
40 High Street circa 1915
40 High Street circa 1915
[Photo: David Bruce]
(Click for a larger image)
Pots and Pieces in 2011
Pots and Pieces in 2011
[Photo: David Bruce]
(Click for a larger image)

47 High Street

  • [2006-2009] Molly May's
  • [2006] Empty Shop
  • [2006] Deck The Halls
  • [????] The Tool Shop
  • [1999] Jupiter and Teardrop
  • [1995] Jupiter and Teardrop
  • [????] Secondhand and ex goverment tools and clothes?? (Possibly owned by Roberts?)
  • [1960] W. J. Heal
  • [1949] W. J. Heal
  • [1938] Wm. C. Bevan
  • [1936] Wm. C. Bevan
  • [1907] Barrass
  • [1900] The Ross Toilet Club (Gentleman's Hairdressing Saloons)
  • [1900] Barrass

Barrass

Barrass was a wholesale and retail tobacco, cigar and cigarette merchants. They also imported cigars and fancy goods. They specialised in Loewe & G.B.D Briar Pipes, silver snd gun-metal cases along with gold and silver mounted walking sticks and were licensed to deal in gold and silver. Additionally they sold fishing rods and tackle etc.

47 High Street circa 1907
47 High Street circa 1910
(Click for a larger image)
Barrass Tobacconists, Hairdressers and Bicycle Sales
Barrass Tobacconists, Hairdressers and Bicycle Sales3
(Click for a larger image)


1 - The Wye Valley Illustrated from Hereford to Chepstow
No.323 Burrows Royal Handbooks [Fifth Edition c.1910]
published by Edward J. Burrow
2 Ross - The Gateway of the Wye Valley - Ross-on-Wye Chamber of Commerce [c.1971]
3 A Gossiping Guide to the Wye Valley - [c.1907]
4 Ross Gazette - 17/12/1992

Old Receipts & Bills

Tooth Brothers

The Tooth Brothers were plumbers, fitters and glaziers with shops at 3 High Street and 5 New Street. They supplied iron, lead and brass lift pumps and iron and porcelain baths to name but a few items.

The receipt was for the repair of a water pump.

This receipt dates from Xmas 1897 and was settled on 11th May 1898.

Tooth Brothers receipt
Tooth Brothers receipt
(Click for a larger image)

J. Strange

J. Strange was a fishmonger, game dealer & fruiterer based at 51 High Street, Ross.

It is a receipt made out to Messers Lawerence & Fowler for the rent of a Posting Station at the Ice House which was due in March 1922.

This receipt dates from 8th December 1922.

J. Strange
J. Strange receipt
(Click for a larger image)

P.C.Bennett

P.C.Bennett F.A.I was an Autioneer & Stock Salesman, Agricultural, Timber and General Valuer and Surveyor. Additionally he was a Fire Assessor, House, Land & Estate Agent and all assurances effected. The offices were in Palace Chambers, Ross-on-Wye.

This item dates from 1937.

P.C.Bennett
P.C.Bennett
(Click for a larger image)

Edmund Turner & Co. Ltd

Edmund Turner & Co. Ltd were shoe specialists in Ross carrying out repairs by modern methods. MASCOT was their brand of shoes and these were shoes for every member of the family are obainable in handsomely designed shapes for the needs, tastes, and feet, and your inspection of our stock is always cordially welcomed.

They had branches at 43 High Street and 36 Broad Street in Ross and also in Hereford, Monmouth and Abergavenny.

This item dates from 1928.

Edmund Turner & Co. Ltd
Edmund Turner & Co. Ltd
(Click for a larger image)

Wm Watsons and Sons

Wm Watsons and Sons were ironmongers and plumbers at 39 High Street Ross. This is a statement of account to Mr. Percy Bellamy of How Caple and he owed 21 / 17s / 11p. The statement has a note added to the bottom stating "S.O.S. We are Starving".

It is interesting to note that the Watsons logo involves a hedgehog.

This item dates from 1925.

Wm Watsons and Sons
Wm Watsons and Sons
(Click for a larger image)

J.Barnwell & Son

J.Barnwell & Son were a household stores and were the best equipped stores in the district. This is a statement of account for Mr. P. Bellamy.

This item dates from 1926.

J.Barnwell & Son
J.Barnwell & Son
(Click for a larger image)

Ross Gazette

This was a bill to the Exec of the late William Bailey of Myrtle Villas, Ashfield, from March 1925.

Ross Gazette
Ross Gazette
(Click for a larger image)

Bannister & Foxwell Ltd

This was a bill from Bannister & Foxwell Ltd, who were clothiers, hatters, hosiers and complete outfitters, to Ms. Pascoe from Weston Cross and is dated 30th Sept 1933.

Bannister & Foxwell
Bannister & Foxwell
(Click for a larger image)

Charles Francis

Charles Francis was a wholesale tobacconist at 47 High Street.

This was a bill to a Mr. J. N. Suter of Gloucester Road, Ross from the 5th December 1932.

Bannister & Foxwell
Bannister & Foxwell
(Click for a larger image)

Kyrle House

Inside and around John Kyrle House are a number of interesting features both related to John Kyrle and to people who have used the building since he was there.

In the house, on the upper floors, is a considerable amount of original panelling, such as this seen in what was John Kyrle's parlour.

There is also a punched door, as seen below left, which used to be part of a pair of doors that were on cupboards on either side of the main fireplace in the house. The punching depicts the coat of arms of John Kyrle.

Outside of the house is a studded door, below right, also depicting John Kyrle's coat of arms, and which bares the year 1680.

Panelling in John Kyrle`s house
Panelling in the house
(Click for a larger image)

John Kyrle`s pierced door
John Kyrle's pierced door
(Click for a larger image)
John Kyrle`s studed door
John Kyrle's studed door
(Click for a larger image)

Other items of Interest

On one of the windows in the house is some early graffiti which states:


Mr. Brookes let this house to Mesrs Jones & Love Bakers May 29th 1824

Below that is a latin phase:


Amor nummi crescit quantum ipse pecunia crescit

Which seems to mean:

The love of wealth grows as the wealth itself grows or The love of money grows as our wealth increases.

Graffiti in John Kyrle`s house
Graffiti in John Kyrle's house
(Click for a larger image)

The John Kyrle Summer House

The John Kyrle Summer House was commissioned by John Kyrle circa 1700. It is likely that it was not an actual summer house but more of a retreat where he could come with his special friends to smoke and drink. The original summer house was a much smaller affair located to the west of the current building and was more of a store and shelter for use with the bowling green.

The Summer House was converted to a Folly in 1820 by Mr. Cary-Cocks, who had a chemists shop in Man of Ross House, and Prince George of Cambridge visited it in 1835.

John Kyrle Summer House
John Kyrle Summer House
(Click for a larger image)

In 1991 the building was converted into the private residence as seen today (during a special open day to celebrate John Kyrle's birthday on the 22nd May 2010).

The window on the right hand side was added by the current owner circa 1991 and the front porch and pinnacles were added in around 1800. Therefore when John Kyrle was using the building it would have been very dark inside as there were only windows on the back side of the building.

The piece of stonework protuding from the front of the pinnicle used to be a stone head, like the one on the right below which was dug up in the garden.

Pinnicle on Summer House
John Kyrle Summer House
(Click for a larger image)
Carved stone head
Carved stone head
(Click for a larger image)

The garden was originally part of the John Kyrle bowling green which is bounded on the south side by the stone Rectory wall and the main site of the bowling green is where Watsons car park, off Church Street, is now.

Site of John Kyrle`s bowling green
Site of John Kyrle`s bowling green
(Click for a larger image)

The garden was converted to the present knot garden in 1820 by Mr. Cary-Cocks. By 1900 it had fallen into disrepair until was restored in 1994. Before it was restored it was possible to see the layout of the garden but many of the Box trees were missing. The garden features all original features such as the corner stones and sundial.

John Kyrle Summer House and knot garden
John Kyrle Summer House and knot garden
(Click for a larger image)
Man of Ross Summer House
John Kyrle in the knot garden
(Click for a larger image)

Swan made from horse teeth
Swan made from horse teeth
(Click for a larger image)

This swan mosaic, which is in the porch, is constructed from horses teeth which are reputed to have been taken from the horses that fell during the Civil War battle for Wilton Bridge.


Although none of the John Kyrle Gazebo remains the steps and the pillars that supported chains that edged the steps still remain.

Site of John Kyrle`s Gazebo
Site of John Kyrle`s Gazebo
(Click for a larger image)
Stone pillar
Stone pillar
(Click for a larger image)

Stone pillar
Green Man
(Click for a larger image)

The garden has a large number of interesting features and this Green Man is yet another example!


Postcard views

These are views of the John Kyrle Summer House, Ross. The left hand postcard was posted in 1903 to the Post Office at St. Fagans in Cardiff. The right hand postcard was posted in 1907 to Pear Orchard Farm near Dursley.

Summer House
The John Kyrle Summer House, Ross (No 93)
[Published by Burrow, Cheltenham - posted 1908]
(Click for a larger image)
Man of Ross Summer House
Ross - Man of Ross' Summer House
(Click for a larger image)



next Henry Street Kyrle Street previous


[Page updated: Jun 09 2012 21:45:08]






Search the site

Ross-on-Wye.com & TheVista.co.uk
2002-2012 All Rights Reserved
Guestbook :: Contact details :: RSS News Feed News Feed

Share this article
Facebook Digg Reddit Magnolia Yahoo Google Stumbleupon Technorati Delicious Newsvine
[ Page views: 68680 :: Total page views: 5695226 :: Total visits: 5108155 ]
[ Since: 22:55 29 July 2005 ]
[ Page gen. time: 0.0870 ][ Page enc: gzip][ SERVER - Load: 408% ]