next Ledbury Road Millpond Street previous


Ross-on-Wye

Market Place

The Market Place, Ross-on-Wye, runs from the High Street down to the point where it meets Broad Street between the Crown and Sceptre Inn and Going Places on the west side, WH Smiths and Superdrug on the east side and to the south by the High Street.

The Market Place used to run from the junction with New Street right up to St Mary's Street and along to the Gloucester Road junction although it is now much smaller.


The view of the north end of the Market Place out from under the front of the Market House.

Market Place Ross-on-Wye
The Market Place
(Click for a larger image)

Broad Street and Market Place
A postcard view out from under the Market House and down Broad Street
[No. 211831 published by Valentine & Sons]
(Click for a larger image)
Broad Street and Market Place
A postcard view out from under the Market House and down Broad Street
[No. H.5284 published by Valentine & Sons]
(Click for a larger image)

Market Place Ross-on-Wye
The Market Place
(Click for a larger image)

This view is looking down at the north end of the Market Place from the upper floor of the Market House.


This photo shows the shops bordering the east side of the Market Place. No. 10 is Superdrug up to No. 14 which is the Ark Pet Shop.

Market Place Ross-on-Wye (1-1-06)
The east side of the Market Place
(Click for a larger image)

Scrap Week in Ross
Scrap Week in the Market Place
[many thanks to Richard Mayo]
(Click for a larger image)

This is a postcard view (unknown publisher) of Scrap Week in Ross (between 19th and 24th August). This was supposedly to help the war effort but most of the metal was cast and hence completely useless. It was more of a moral boost for the populace to make them feel that they were doing something to help the war effort.


Here we see the shops bordering the west side of the Market Place. No.1 is now Q&S clothes shop down to no.7 which is Nationwide.

Market Place Ross-on-Wye (1-1-06)
The west side of the Market Place
(Click for a larger image)

Armoured cars in Ross
Armoured cars in the Market Place
[many thanks to Richard Mayo]
(Click for a larger image)

Here we see a postcard (unknown publisher) of armoured cars in the Market Place. This was presumably part of a recruitment drive and appears to have been in around the 1930's.

This card has a great shot of an old pram and a motorbike which can be seen in more detail below.


The pram
The pram
The motorbike
The motorbike

Underhill

Underhill Ross-on-Wye
Underhill taken from a plate as used by the Ross Gazette in 1871
(Click for a larger image)

Market Place Ross-on-Wye (1-1-06)
The Market Place looking south
(Click for a larger image)

Prior to, and during, the 19th century, the Gloucester Road side of the Market Place was covered by a row of shops called "Underhill". This area was also known as Under Hell, Behind Hell or Upon Hell. These variations are believed to be derived from the saxon word "helle" meaning dark place possibly leading to the idea that this was a very ancient row of shops.

Underhill was knocked down sometime in the early 1800's, most probably at the same time as Gloucester Road was built in 1825, and the east side of the Market Place was changed into what we see today.


The Market Place looking from the High Street.

Market Place
The Market House and Market Place from the High Street
(Click for a larger image)

Farmers Strike in Ross
A photo of the farmers strike in Ross
[many thanks to Richard Mayo]
(Click for a larger image)

On the 19th September 1974 at 11am, local farmers converged on the cross by the Market House. This was a futile attempt to draw attention to the very poor state of the farming industry; similar displays were held all across the EEC.


The Ross Town Band playing at the point where the Market Place meets Gloucester Road.

Market Place Ross-on-Wye
Ross Town Band
(Click for a larger image)

Market Place Ross-on-Wye
The Market House and Market Place
(Click for a larger image)

Looking from the Market Place towards the Market House and the High Street.


Here is an example of a wooden clothes hanger from A.J. Kiddle of Ross, who were a ladies and gentlemens tailors, and they had a shop at No. 7 Market Place, which is currently Nationwide.

Market Place Ross-on-Wye (5-2-06)
A.J. Kiddle clothes hanger Market Place
(Click for a larger image)

Market Place Ross-on-Wye (7-3-06)
Postcard of the Market Place
(Click for a larger image)

This is an example of how busy Ross market was in the past probably in the 1930's or 1940's. The underside of the Market Hall is screened off, presumably to make the back for a stall or as a wind break.

Taken from a "Phototype" postcard titled "The Market Hall, Ross-on-Wye" no. H5281 published by Valentine & Sons, Ltd.


This is a postcard view of the Market in the Market Place most likely to have been in the 1950's.

The Market in Broad Street
The Market in Broad Street, Ross on Wye.
[T.S.RS.93 published by Friths]
(Click for a larger image)

A market in progress
The Market Place Ross-on-Wye
[RS.96 - published by Friths]
(Click for a larger image)

Here a busy market is in progress and the policeman was, as usual, stood in the middle of the cross directing traffic.


Ross-on-Wye, Market Day
Ross-on-Wye, Market Day
[RS.64 - published by Friths]
(Click for a larger image)
Market House, Ross-on-Wye
Market House, Ross-on-Wye
[RS.18 - Unknown publisher]
(Click for a larger image)

The two photos used for the cards below were taken by John T. Pullen.

ROSS-ON-WYE The Market Square
ROSS-ON-WYE The Market Square
[V.8402 - published by D. Constance Ltd]
(Click for a larger image)
ROSS-ON-WYE The Market Square 2
ROSS-ON-WYE The Market Square c.1968
[V.8401 - published by D. Constance Ltd]
(Click for a larger image)

The Market, Ross on Wye, Herefordshire
The Market, Ross on Wye, Herefordshire
[H.026041L - published by E.T.W.Dennis & Sons Ltd]
(Click for a larger image)
Market Day, Ross-on-Wye c.1990
Market Day, Ross-on-Wye c.1990
[Unknown publisher]
(Click for a larger image)

Raynors prior to demolishion

Raynors was a department store that used to be in Ross. The building stood where Boots is now on the west side of the Market Place. The following photos show the area prior and during the demolition of the store.

The frontage of Raynors
The frontage of Raynors
[Photo: J.C.Coombes] (Click for a larger image)

Raynors from the top of the Market Place
Raynors from the top of the Market Place
[Photo: J.C.Coombes]
(Click for a larger image)
Raynors from the bottom of the Market Place
Raynors from the bottom of the Market Place
[Photo: J.C.Coombes]
(Click for a larger image)

The photos above show the frontage of Raynors and Dewhursts the butchers next door, which was not demolished, prior to the demolishion of the Raynors building from several angles.

The photo to the right shows some of the item left in the window after the shop closed.

The frontage of the building that replaced the Raynors one was designed to look similar to the original one.

An advert in Raynors window
An advert in Raynors window
[Photo: J.C.Coombes]
(Click for a larger image)

Raynors post demolishion

The Market Place as seen from the site
The Market Place as seen from the site
[Photo: J.C.Coombes]
(Click for a larger image)

The photo to the left is the view from Pigs Alley across the site where the building stood looking at the Market Place and the Market House.

The photos below show several view of the remains of the buildings either beside or on the site.


The site of Raynors as seen from the High Street
The site of Raynors as seen from the High Street
[Photo: J.C.Coombes] (Click for a larger image)
The back of the Raynors site
The back of the Raynors site
[Photo: J.C.Coombes]
(Click for a larger image)



next Ledbury Road Millpond Street previous


[Page updated: Feb 15 2011 13:31:58]






Search the site

Ross-on-Wye.com & TheVista.co.uk
2002-2012 All Rights Reserved
Guestbook :: Contact details :: RSS News Feed News Feed

Share this article
Facebook Digg Reddit Magnolia Yahoo Google Stumbleupon Technorati Delicious Newsvine
[ Page views: 58209 :: Total page views: 5326464 :: Total visits: 4753934 ]
[ Since: 22:55 29 July 2005 ]
[ Page gen. time: 0.1283 ][ Page enc: gzip][ SERVER - Load: 425% ]