The photo above shows the top entrance to Roman Way as seen from Fernbank Lane.
Prior to the building of the Roman Way estate (locally known as Lego Land), this area was farm land. The farmhouse stood opposite the point where Fernbank Road and Eastfield Road joins Walford Road.
These photos were taken during the 1970s and, judging by the smoke coming from the chimney, the farmhouse was still occupied at this time.
The large farmhouse was originally a small building that had been extended numerous times.
| || |
Some of the barns at this time were derelict.
| | Tudorville House in 1937
Reproduced from the 1937 Ordnance Survey map. © Crown copyright
[Page updated: Feb 15 2011 13:31:59]