Wye Street, Ross-on-Wye, was originally the only way into Ross from the west before Wilton Road was designed by Thomas Telford and built in 1833. It has always been very steep and was originally called "Dock Street" and the steep part was "Dock Pitch" but was renamed during the redevelopment of the area.
Dock Pitch from a plate used by the Ross Gazette (Click for a larger image)
The street used to be quite industrious and full of crafts persons. In the 1850's this included carpenters, boot makers, shoe makers, solicitors, dress makers, boarding houses and a school.
The Castle Inn
This building, now flats, used to be the Castle Inn. Up until about 1871, the area between this and the Man of Ross Inn used to be part of the cattle market.
The old Castle Inn (Click for a larger image)
The Castle Hotel (Click for a larger image)
Initially, it was called the Russell Arms but was redeveloped and reopened in 1838 as the Castle. This corresponded with the completion of the towns
mock walls and towers. Later it was named the Castle Wine and Spirit Vaults and later still the Castle Vaults.
By the 1940's it was known as the Castle Hotel and in 1961 it was sold and converted into flats. 
Man of Ross
At the top end of Wye Street is the 'Man of Ross Inn' named after John Kyrle 'The Man of Ross'. It was opened in 1847 by a corn and flour dealer James Watkins.
The building dates back to the 17th century but it has been modified several times since then.
The current landlady is very friendly and they do great pub grub (the gammon is excellent!!)
This is one of the paths leading down to The Rope Walk. To the left of the alley is the Blake Memorial Garden.
The alley down to the Rope Walk (Click for a larger image)
Blake Memorial Garden
The top of the Blake Memorial Garden (Click for a larger image)
The Blake Memorial Garden was built by the town to commemorate the life of Thomas Blake after his death in 1901 and it was completed by 1908.
Blake did many things for the Town including saving the Prospect for the Town, contributing a large amount of money for the building of a new Baptist Chapel and providing a fresh water supply to the town.
These are two postcard views of the Blake Memorial Garden and are titled "The Wye from Thomas Blakes Memorial Gardens, Ross-on-Wye" and "Blake's Memorial, Ross".
A postcard view from Blakes Memorial Garden [published by F. Frith & Co Ltd. - no. RS110] (Click for a larger image)
A postcard view of Blakes Memorial Garden [from a photo by H. E. Wilkins - no. 78] (Click for a larger image)
The British and Foreign School
The British and Foreign School was established in 1837 to educate the children of Ross and it was a great success. At its peak there were around 300 pupils all being educated depending on their, or their families, ability to pay.
The British and Foreign School (Click for a larger image)
An interesting building (Click for a larger image)
A few more interesting buildings next to the school.
The Hope and Anchor
Opposite is the road down to the Hope and Anchor pub and a bit further on is the Rope Walk.
The road down to the Hope and Anchor (Click for a larger image)
The Ice House
The Ice House (Click for a larger image)
After the buildings is a six storey building called "The Ice House" [ more details ] which is being re-developed as can be seen in the photograph.
RNIB Wishing Well
The RNIB wishing well is opposite the River Side Inn and just down from the bottom of the Ice House. It was built to commemorate the centenary of the RNIB 1868-1968. It also commemorates the 125th anniversary and the planting of the "Prunas Oakaye Tree" in 1993.
The RNIB wishing well (Click for a larger image)
The new Bandstand (Click for a larger image)
Further on along is the new Band Stand. This was handed over to the Ross-on-Wye Town Council by Ross Lions on the 31stMay 2005.
Behind the Band Stand and on the bank is the Miss Caroline E. Symonds Garden gifted by her to the Ross-on-Wye Urban District Council in 1962.
The Miss Caroline E. Symonds Garden (Click for a larger image)
The Breakthrough Breast Cancer crocus bed (Click for a larger image)
To the right of the Symonds Garden is the Breakthrough Breast Cancer crocus bed that was planted in memory of the 1000 women who die of breast cancer each month in the UK.
Further round to the right is Wilton Road and the arches under the road.
The arches under Wilton Road (Click for a larger image)
Views Back Up Wye Street
The view back up Wye Street.
Wye Street (Click for a larger image)
View of Ross from the lower part of Wye Street [Photo: G.W.Young1] (Click for a larger image)
The picturesque view back up Wye Street from Wilton Road.
Wye Street from Wilton Road (Click for a larger image)
These are two postcard views of Wye Street from the early 1900's and it is referred to as 'Dock Street' which was its previous name. The left view is looking back from Hereford Road (now known as Wilton Road) and the other is a view from further up the street.
Old views of Dock/Wye Street
Dock Street, Ross [published by Valentines - no. 23948] (Click for a larger image)
Ross Church from Hereford Road - posted 1910 [published by Valentines - no. 23929] (Click for a larger image)
1Ross-on-Wye for Health, Scenery, Sport and Equable Climate - Published by the Ross Improvement and Publicity Society & printed by Ross Gazette Ltd. 2The Pubs of Ross & South Herefordshire by Heather Hurley published by Logaston Press