The Castle Hotel, as seen here, was at the junction between Wye Street and Wilton Road.
Initially it was called the Russell Arms but was redeveloped and reopened in in 1838, corresponding with the completion of the towns mock walls and towers, as the Castle. Later it was named the Castle Wine and Spirit Vaults and
later still the Castle Vaults. By the 1940's it was known as the Castle Hotel and in 1961 it was sold and converted into flats2.
Wye Street, or this part called Dock Pitch, used to be quite industrious and this included carpenters, boot makers, shoe makers, solicitors, dress makers,
boarding houses and schools.
Dock Pitch taken from a plate used by the Ross Gazette (Click for a larger image)
Dock Street, Ross [published by Valentines - no. 23948] (Click for a larger image)
A postcard view of Dock Street, Ross, now known as Wye Street, in the early 1900's.
Ross Church from Hereford Road
A postcard view along Wye Street, looking from Hereford Road (now known as Wilton Road) in the early 1900's.
Ross Church from Hereford Road - posted 1910 [published by Valentines - no. 23929] (Click for a larger image)
1Ross-on-Wye for Health, Scenery, Sport and Equable Climate - Published by the Ross Improvement and Publicity Society & printed by Ross Gazette Ltd. 2The Pubs of Ross & South Herefordshire by Heather Hurley published by Logaston Press