The Railway in Ross-on-Wye
In Ross there are various remnants of the railway around the town and these are a few details about some of the most prominent ones.
The Engine Shed
The Engine Shed is currently disused (12/8/05) since Baileys recently moved out to a new premises.
The shed was built in around 1855 and the arch on the western end of the building has been partially filled in when the railway changed over from broad to standard gauge rail in around 1870. In front of the engine shed was the turntable. The engine shed was finally closed in October 1963.
By September 1985, Mark and Sally Bailey had purchased and restored the shed to use it as the base for their architectural antiques business before they moved to Whitecross Farm, Bridstow, in around August 2005.
[Page updated: Feb 15 2011 13:31:58]