The Kymin is a legacy of the Picturesque Movement, from the late 18th century, when this site was a popular place for picnics, painting, walks and gentle games played during that period. The main features remaining are the views, the Round House and the Naval Temple, a monument to the British navy.
The Kymin is now owned by the National Trust and the wood that surrounds the site are known as Beaulieu Wood, which are a fragment of their former extent, are now owned by the Woodland Trust.
The Round House
| || |
The Banqueting House was built on the Kymin in 1794 to provide a place for the members of the Kymin Club to meet weekly (on a Tuesday) for the purposes of social dining.
In 1902 the site was given to the Natinal trust by the Monmouthshire Corporation. This was the result of £300 raised by public subscription to allow the property to be purchased. There was a potential threat that a private buyer would purchase the site and close it off from the public.
The Naval Temple
The Naval Temple was erected 1st August 1800 by the gentlemen of Monmouth to celebrate the "Noble Admirals who distinguished themselves by their Glorious Victories for England in the last and present wars" [taken from a plaque on the monument]. It is dedicated to the Dutchess of Beaufort who was the daughter of Admiral Boscawen.
Nelson came to visit the Kymin in 1802 and he expressed surprise that he was commemorated on the monument. It is believed that this may still be the only monument that celebrates the entire navy.
In 1987 the monument was rebuilt and was inaugurated by HRH The Princess Margaret Countess of Snowdon on 28th July 1987.
| || |
The monument on the top of the temple depicts Britannia seated on a rock whilst she waves triumphantly over the fallen and captive flags of France, Spain and Holland. The rear commemorates the "ever-memorable" Battle of the Nile.
[Page updated: Feb 15 2011 13:31:59]