Edde Cross Street, Ross-on-Wye, runs north - south from the junction between the High Street and Wilton Road down to where it becomes Trenchard Street at the point where Kyrle Street joins it although there is evidence that Trenchard Street used to extend right up to where New Street joins Edde Cross Street.
The building on the right was the site of the Swan Hotel, now the council offices and Tourist Information office, at the start of Edde Cross Street where the High Street and Wilton Road join.
The Swan Hotel was a huge hotel incorporating its own stables and later a garage. It even had it's own petrol pump on the side of the street in the early 1900's.
Edde Cross Street (Click for a larger image)
The "Swan" was originally located on the High Street and was called the "Swan and Falcon". The original site was abandoned because, presumably, it was deemed too small by the 1800's so they moved around the corner. James Barrett was the landlord of the Swan Hotel in 1837 and this was when he opened the Royal Hotel up in the Palace Pound on the site of the Bishops Palace.
The Swan Inn was at the start of Edde Cross Street (Click for a larger image)
Opposite the site of the Swan Inn is the site of the Valley Hotel which extended right down to where the tree is on the left side of the Road. This was another massive hotel with a black and white mock Tudor style frontage which has since been removed when it was converted into separate houses. It boasted that it was the closest hotel to the Wye and that it had grass tennis courts.
The Valley Hotel was not an old hotel but a few old houses knocked together to form a unlicensed hotel.
The site of the Valley Hotel in Edde Cross Street (Click for a larger image)
The Valley Hotel was renowned for it's Queen Anne features in the houses and a Octagonal Gazebo dated to around the mid-1700's in the gardens which were often used by the patrons of the Swan Hotel too.
Apparently (according to Tales of old Inns - Richard Keverne) there were ornate, brass fitted "Russian Doors" looted during the Crimean War and bought home for use in the houses. The houses needed strengthening to be able to support them due to the weight and size of the doors.
The view back up Edde Cross Street towards Wilton Road. To the left is New Street and the site where Multicore Solders had their factory.
Edde Cross Street (Click for a larger image)
Merton House (Click for a larger image)
This is Merton House and it was built sometime around 1800.
In 1802, Merton House was owned by Walter Hill and Lord Nelson and his guests visited the gardens after breakfasting at the Swan and Falcon Inn on the High Street. Lord Nelson then went down to the Wye and took a pleasure boat down to Monmouth.
Merton House used to be a hotel. A postcard (published by Dodwell & Sons, Cheltenham) titled "Merton Hotel Ross" advertised it.
Merton House postcard (Click for a larger image)
Edde Cross Street (Click for a larger image)
The view down Edde Cross Street from outside Merton House which is opposite the point where New Street joins Edde Cross Street.
To the left you can just make out the Ross-on-Wye St. John's Ambulance Brigade garage and headquarters which they obtained in 1937 when 3 slums were being cleared.
The site of the 3rd well in Ross which was on the corner between Kyrle Street at the point where Edde Cross Street becomes Trenchard Street. (The well head was actually on the far right of the shot where there is a drive way now.)
The well was sunk in 1844 and the pump was installed in 1845 by the Ross Town Commissioners. The land was purchased by private subscription and dedicated for public use forever.
The site of the 3rd well in Ross (Click for a larger image)
Old Photos of Edde Cross Street
Here are two old photograph views from postcards from the early to mid 1900's of the Valley Hotel and the top of Edde Cross Street.
In the distance, right at the junction between High Street, Wilton Road and Edde Cross Street, can be seen two big billboards. The one on the left advertises the cinema films that are being shown at the Kyrle Picture Palace, and the one on the right shows the Toucan advertising Guinness.
The site of the Valley Hotel in Edde Cross Street [Published: R. E. Davies of the "Wye" Studio] (Click for a larger image)
The site of the Valley Hotel in Edde Cross Street [Published: Harvey Barton & Sons Ltd] (Click for a larger image)
The Petrol Pumps on Edde Cross Street (Click for a larger image)
To the left can be seen the petrol pumps outside of the Swan Hotel's garage (the Swan Garage). Initially it appears they only had a single "National Benzole" pump and this was later expanded to include a Shell pump.
Old Receipts & Bills
The Swan Hotel was on the corner of High Street and Edde Cross Street and the entrance porch and several sets of doors can still be seen today.
The receipt was for Guinness, several types of spirits (including sherry, port), cigars and cider plus a few other misc items.
This receipt dates from 12th May 1898.
Swan Hotel receipt (Click for a larger image)
A postcard of the "Ross, Swan Hotel & C.". This was on the corner of the High Street and Edde Cross Street in Ross-on-Wye.
A postcard of the Swan Hotel in Ross [unknown publisher] (Click for a larger image)
An advert for the Swan Hotel (Click for a larger image)
This is an advert from c.1903-1914 taken from Ross - The official Guide of the Ross Urban District Council
This is an advert from c.1974 taken from Ross-on-Wye - The Gateway to the Wye.
An advert for the Swan Hotel circa 1974 (Click for a larger image)
An advert for the Swan Hotel1 (Click for a larger image)
The advert states that the Swan Hotel is situated on a hill overlooking and near the far-famed River Wye. It also states that it was furnished with
every modern convenience and was apparently one of the most up-to-date Family Residential Hotels in the county.
John Davies, known as Jack, (b. 1878 Pontrilas d. 1912 35 Nursery Road, Ross) can be seen in the photo right and he was a Boot boy at the Swan Hotel Ross in 1901 and by 1911 he is described as a porter at the same Hotel. Around the brim of his hat can be seen the name of the hotel.
He later changed job and became a rail goodsman on Ross Station. He also became a member of the grand order of Buffalos.
He married Sarah Jane Lane in September 1891 in Ross District. Sarah, known as Sally, was the daughter of Allen Lane and Elizabeth Beavan. She was born in December 1871 in Kempley, Herefordshire, and died in 1960 in 35 Nursery Rd, Ross on Wye.
Jack Davies [Photo: Bryan Cooper] (Click for a larger image)
1Ross-on-Wye for Health, Scenery, Sport and Equable Climate - Published by the Ross Improvement and Publicity Society & printed by Ross Gazette Ltd.
A photo postcard titled "Valley Hotel, Ross-on-Wye" of what was the Valley Hotel on Edde Cross Street in Ross-on-Wye.
The Valley Hotel had a mock-Tudor timbered façade which has since been removed when the building was converted into separate houses and offices.
It claimed to be the closest hotel to the River Wye.
The hotel became part of the Trust Houses group in the 1930s and, along with the usual facilities, it had a grass tennis court.
In around 1920 the hotel was owned by Holmwood Caws.
A postcard of the Valley Hotel in Ross-on-Wye circa 17.8.1962 [published by Trust Houses Ltd - PN 4955] (Click for a larger image)
A postcard of the Valley Hotel Gardens [published by Photocrom Co. Ltd. for Trust Houses Ltd.] (Click for a larger image)
A photo postcard titled "Valley Hotel, Ross-on-Wye" of what was the garden behind the Valley Hotel.
This card shows the gardens behind the hotel. People can be seen sat in the selection of deck chairs in the garden. To the middle left can be seen the small mock tower.
Interestingly, the handwriting on the rear of this card is identical to the one above. Neither bear an actual message but they both have "Valley Hotel Ross.on.Wye" on them. The card to the left also has the message "order continental size from Photo Precision next time." Thus it is appears that the cards were owned by the owner of the hotel or someone involved in the publicising of the hotel.
A photo postcard titled "Valley Hotel" of what was the path in garden behind the Valley Hotel.
This card shows the path in the gardens behind the hotel. The path, I think, is the one seen in the bottom left of the card above.
A postcard of the Valley Hotel [unknown publisher] (Click for a larger image)
Below left is a view of the inside of the Valley Hotel, looking slightly like someone's front room, and below right is the north end of the Valley Hotel in around 1951.
Some of the windows to the rooms at the back of the hotel are also visible.
A postcard of the Inside of the Valley Hotel [Published by R.E.Davis] (Click for a larger image)
A postcard of the north end of the Valley Hotel [Published by Trust Houses Ltd posted 1951] (Click for a larger image)