Hoarwithy means at the willow tree on the boundary and its earliest reference occurs in 1005.
The Hoarwithy Toll Bridge spans the River Wye and links Hoarwithy with King's Caple. Originally Travellers cross the river using the ford or ferry crossing. These were replaced by a timber bridge in 1856. After 20 years of use it was replaced by an iron structure which was 260 feet long and 15 feet wide. This was built in a novel way as the bridge was built on top of the old one and then lowered into place by hydraulic pumps.
An iron bridge was erected in 1876 and consisted of a narrow road bridge with a weight limit of 7 tons and was unsuitable for modern vehicles. The inhabitants of King's Caple were reliant upon the bridge it was then replaced in 1990 by a stronger structure.
In 1935 the Herefordshire County Council purchased the bridge and freed it of tolls and then also took over the maintenance of the bridge.
[Page updated: Apr 12 2012 12:43:04]