Currently in Ross there are various patches of new development and redevelopment of derelict areas. This is a little look at one of those areas and follows the change of the derelict Texaco service station into luxury apartments.
| | At the start, this was what the site looked like ...
By the 27th July 2006 the development was pretty much complete and the flats were being inhabited.
| | ... and what the site looked like when it was completed!
The following link gives a photographic diary of the stages of the Texaco Development: Texaco Development
There are several other developments either going on, or which have been completed, around the town. These are a few examples:
- Texaco - Gloucester Road
- Development period: 13th August 2005 to 27th July 2007
- Background: The old Texaco garage closed and became a derelict site. The site was then sold for development and several blocks of flats were built on it.
- Bank House - Broad Street
- Development period: 13th January 2005 to 24th March 2007
- Background: Bank House is an old building, dating back to the early 1800s, that has become run down and the owners decided to refurbish the shops below, create some additional shops in The Crofts and convert the upper floors into flats/accommodation.
- No. 12 & 13 - Brookend Street
- Development period: 29th January 2006 to 25th September 2007
- Background: No. 12 & 13 Brookend Street is a pair of shops, the last occupant was Fritz Fryers Antique Lighting, but the site became rundown and in need of some work to turn it back into usable shops. The owners therefore had the interior completely refitted and the upper floors converted into flats.
- Waste Ground - Henry Street
- Development period: 6th December 2005 to 27th July 2007
- Background: This was a patch of waste ground beside the street that used to have a workshop on it. The decision was made to build two houses on this site.
- Waste Ground - Station Street
- Development period: 5th September 2005 to 9th November 2006
- Background: This was the site of part of the Alton Court Brewery, which was demolished many years ago. McCarthy and Stone bought the site for conversion into retirement flats.
- Nags Head - High Street
- Development period: Sometime in 2006 to 8th April 2007
- Background: The Nags Head was a pub on this site but this closed in the 1960s and the building had become derelict. The owners converted the ground floor into a large shop and the upper floors into a house.
- Prospect Collapse
- Development period: 4th December 2006 to present
- Background: The wall in the Prospect collapsed after a period of very heavy rain.
- Flood Defences
- Development period: 29th December 2007 to present
- Background: This the main part of the flood alleviation scheme for Ross.
[Page updated: Feb 15 2011 13:31:59]