Edde Cross Street
'Edde Crosse Streete' in old English
These houses have had a long history and were funded by many people. This is shown on a plaque built into the wall of the houses that reads:
Endowed by Thomas Roberts Esq 1854
Edde Crosse Streete
and the Gardens adjoining thereto.
were given in exchange for
PYE`S ALMS HOUSES,
the 3rd of Feby 1792.
The gift of Wm PYE Clre
Vicar of Foy Ano 1600.
rebuilt at this Parish charge
THESE STONES WERE RENEWED IN 1915.
These were called Pye's Almshouses and they were the gift of the Rev. Mr. Pye, vicar of Foy in 1600.
They were rebuilt in Edde Cross street in 1679 and the houses and the garden adjoining were exchanged for the old
almshouses on February 3rd 1792 by Walter Hill. Then they were further endowed by Thomas Roberts,
Esq. in 1854.
[Page updated: Feb 15 2011 13:31:58]