The Towns Water Supply
On the north-east side of the Market House was a public well that supplied the centre of town via a pump that was situated there.
The Cawdor Well is on the northern boundary of the urban part of Ross, on the Ross Urban and Ross Rural boundary, and was fed from five weak springs coming up
through the sandstone1. The well was renowned in the area for curing rheumatism and similar ailments. The map below clearly identifies that there was a well here and the photo above is thought to be the area where the springs came to the surface. The well was located south of here on the lower side of the path where a house has now been built.
| | The site of the Cawdor Well in 1937
Reproduced from the 1937 Ordnance Survey map. © Crown copyright
By 1935 the well had been filled in although it was still marked on OS maps until much later.
Today there is no actual sign of the well except that the springs still run and this accounts for the water that runs down the path from
the top of Brampton Hill (just below the entrance to River View) down to Cawdor Arch Road.
During renovation works at the Crofts in September 1986, a private well was dug up at the rear of the buildings.
Wells and Springs of Herefordshire - HM Stationary Office - 1935
[Page updated: Feb 15 2011 13:31:58]