The first mention of "Alton Road" is seen in the 1920s on property deeds in the area. Prior to that it is mentioned as "Marsh Road". (Many thanks to Rob from lily-elsie.com for these details)
On OS maps from 1937 and 1957, it is marked as "Alton Lane" which has since been updated to "Alton Road".
In 1937, the west of the road is extensively bordered by orchards to the east of the road is a marsh area that was partially drained by 1957 and was covered with anderson shelters in case of air-raids during WWII. Also to the east of Alton Lane was the Ross to Monmouth railway line and the Isolation Hospital, which was used to house patients suffering from highly infectious diseases.
This building, that is now a house, used to be a Coach House for one of the big houses that was in the area. During World War II, apparently sand bags were piled around the building and it was used as an air raid shelter.
The Coach House, Alton Road (Click for a larger image)
Alton Road (Click for a larger image)
This is the view looking south from where Alton Road meets Gloucester Road back towards the point where Alton Road and Alton Street meet.