next Church Street Edde Cross Street previous

Ross-on-Wye

Copse Cross Street

Copse Cross Street runs south from the point where the High Street meets Old Gloucester Road. It runs up to and becomes Walford Road just after the junction with Old Maids Walk, Alton Street and Sussex Avenue, at the point where the Copse Cross Toll Gate stood.


Copse Cross Street
The point where Copse Cross Street meets High Street and Old Gloucester Road
(Click for a larger image)

The first building on the left was the Royal Oak Inn which closed just after the turn of the 20th century.


December House
December House
(Click for a larger image)

Slightly further up the street is December House. This building has had a number of names in the past and prior to circa 2005 it was known as Foundation House. It was then refurbished and it was renamed December House because "December" is written in a circle of stones in the courtyard.

In the 1920's and 1930's it was known as The Ivy House which was run by Mrs and the Misses Holloway and it was a Board Residence with moderate terms. It is described as having private sitting rooms, electric light and an excellent bathroom (with hot and cold water). It also had a "beautiful old-world garden" and was near the golf links and river.

Subsequently this building became the Magistrates Court.


To the left can be seen the Ross Community Hospital and to the right are Webb's Alms Houses.

Copse Cross Street
The lower part of the street
(Click for a larger image)

Copse Cross Street
The site of Thomas Webb's Alms Houses
(Click for a larger image)

On the right of Copse Cross Street is the site of the Thomas Webb's Alms Houses.
[ More details]


Clairville House was the home of a private school which initially started out as a Boys' Boarding and Day School and later on it also accepted girls. Adverts from around the end of the 19th Century imply it was still at "Boys' only" school at that time.

Clairville School
The site of Clairville School
(Click for a larger image)

Copse Cross
The Cross on Copse Cross Street
(Click for a larger image)

The name Copse Cross Street is thought to come from Corpse Cross Street. This has two possible derivations for this, one idea is that there was a hang mans cross at this point, or because suicide victims were buried at the cross in a hastily-dug hole without a Priest present. This was a common method of burying suicide victims as they were thought to be "unholy". The act of interring suicides here is thought to have continued here until 1923 when laws was passed to prevent the act.

This second idea ties in to one story about the derivation of Old Maids Walk.


This is the Copse Cross Toll House [ more details ] which stands next to where the gates used to be.

Copse Cross Toll house
Copse Cross Toll House
(Click for a larger image)

The start of Walford Road
The start of Walford Road
(Click for a larger image)

The Walford Road, as the name suggests, runs out to Walford and then from there to Bishopswood and Lydbrook where it is called Ross Road.

In the distance can be seen the Prince of Wales (which became an Inn sometime in the latter half of the 19th century).



next Church Street Edde Cross Street previous


[Page updated: Feb 15 2011 13:31:59]






Search the site

Ross-on-Wye.com & TheVista.co.uk
2002-2012 All Rights Reserved
Guestbook :: Contact details :: RSS News Feed News Feed

Share this article
Facebook Digg Reddit Magnolia Yahoo Google Stumbleupon Technorati Delicious Newsvine
[ Page views: 10222 :: Total page views: 5321965 :: Total visits: 4749293 ]
[ Since: 22:55 29 July 2005 ]
[ Page gen. time: 0.9870 ][ Page enc: gzip][ SERVER - Load: 489% ]