Brampton Street used to be known as the "poorest and most poverty stricken street in Ross" but has since been redeveloped.
Originally there were a number of pubs on the street, the Game Cock, which opened in 1851, was on one side and the Old Game Cock, or Upper Game Cock, which opened in 1876, was on the other. These were named after a breed of fighting chickens used in cock fighting. One of these closed in 1880 and the other was taken over by the Alton Court Brewery and then closed in 1960 when the brewery closed.
The Bell Inn was another Inn in Brampton Street. It opened in 1889 and closed during the First World War.
According to The Pubs of Ross & South Herefordshire, by Heather Hurley, Brampton Street may also have been the home of the Angel Inn in 1768 but details are not clear and it seems to have vanished by 1825.
At the bottom of the street is the Quakers Meeting House and slightly further on is the site of what was once the Police Station in Ross.
It was the main Station in Ross between 1844 and 1935 but then when the Police Force was expanded and the Old Rectory on Church Street was also
converted into a Station. This building, on Brampton Street, then continued as a minor Police Station until at least 1951. The two houses to the left were built
at the same time and were the police houses used by the constables.
| || |
This the view back down towards Fiveways from where the railway bridge used to cross the street.
The shop on Brampton Street closed sometime after 1974 although the interior of the shop is still fairly complete.
| || |
At the corner of River View (to the middle left of the photo) was the site of a public well. This may well have actually been a spring.
This area of Ross used to be known as Springfield To the left (west) of Brampton Road was the site of Springfield House, which was a large Manor House, which was demolished when this area was redeveloped and Vaga Crescent and Oaklands etc where built. The entrance to Oaklands (as seen below) used to be the point where the driveway to Springfield House met Brampton Street and the large fir trees used to border the drive.
[Page updated: Feb 15 2011 13:31:58]