next Station Street Walford Road previous

Ross-on-Wye

Trenchard Street

Trenchard Street does not appear in trades directories from 1876 and is not named on maps after around 1900 and this may be for several reasons. One possibility is that Edde Cross/Trenchard Street has only relatively recently been developed to the levels as seen today, a second possibility is that Trenchard Street is a relatively new name for the lower part of the road.

Trenchard Street Ross-on-Wye
Trenchard Street
(Click for a larger image)

Trenchard Street down towards Greytree Road.


These were Pye`s Almshouses viewed from the south.

Trenchard Street Ross-on-Wye
Trenchard Street
(Click for a larger image)

Trenchard Street Ross-on-Wye
The entrance to the Rope Walk off Trenchard Street
(Click for a larger image)

The entrance to the Rope Walk off Trenchard Street.


These were Pye`s Almshouses which have recently been re-roofed viewed from the north.

Trenchard Street Ross-on-Wye
Alms Houses
(Click for a larger image)

Trenchard Street Ross-on-Wye
Trenchard Street
(Click for a larger image)

This is the view back up Trenchard Street towards Edde Cross Street. To the left is the site of "New Mill" or "One Mill" in Ross.


This is plaque or stone on Edde Cross bridge, which is actually now on Trenchard Street.

Heather Hurley commented, in the Civic Society Newsletter No.81 - Autumn 2003, that the cross was probably saved from a former stone arched bridge of the 1860s, which replaced a ford. This bridge was demolished in the 1950s, when the present structure was built.

Reading clockwise from 1 o'clock the crude Latin says LIGHT, NIGHT, SOON, CROSS.

Trenchard Street Ross-on-Wye
Edde Cross Bridge
(Click for a larger image)

Trenchard Street Ross-on-Wye
The brook coming under Edde Cross Bridge that fed One Mill
(Click for a larger image)

This is the Rudhall Brook coming under Edde Cross Bridge which then once fed into One Mill.

The "New Mill", built sometime before 1418 as a Grist Mill, for grinding grain into flour, and was also called "One Mill". Mills were named after the number of mill stones that they had and being as this one had one set, it was called "One Mill". The last building on the site had been there since 1666 and was demolised and removed during the 19th Century.

The mill pond for this mill was quite small and was probably bordered to the east by Trenchard Street thus limiting its size.


The site of One Mill
(Click for a larger image)

This is the point where Trenchard Street meets Greytree Road and Homs Road.

Trenchard Street Ross-on-Wye
Trenchard Street
(Click for a larger image)


next Station Street Walford Road previous


[Page updated: Feb 15 2011 13:31:59]






Search the site

Ross-on-Wye.com & TheVista.co.uk
2002-2012 All Rights Reserved
Guestbook :: Contact details :: RSS News Feed News Feed

Share this article
Facebook Digg Reddit Magnolia Yahoo Google Stumbleupon Technorati Delicious Newsvine
[ Page views: 6350 :: Total page views: 5329275 :: Total visits: 4756837 ]
[ Since: 22:55 29 July 2005 ]
[ Page gen. time: 0.2002 ][ Page enc: gzip][ SERVER - Load: 373% ]