next New Street Old Maids Walk previous

Ross-on-Wye

Old Gloucester Road

Old Gloucester Road, Ross-on-Wye, runs east - west from the point where the High Street meets Copse Cross Street to Chase Road.

This used to be the main road through Ross and was called simply "Gloucester Road" at that time and it was the main stage coach route to Gloucester. It also used to be much busier than it is now. It had several pubs, several schools, builders, undertakers and other trades men and women working from shops and offices along it.

It was called "Gloucester Road" until "New (and current) Gloucester Road" was built. It was then known as "Arthurs Lane" until it was renamed to "Old Gloucester Road" which it is still known as today.


The view east from High Street down Old Gloucester Road.

The building to the left of the shot, used to be the Nags Head Inn. During a visit by King George IV, a carrier had parked his wagon outside here whilst he unloaded and the king's carriage could not get past. This meant that the King had to wait in a inn called The Butchers Arms (which was opposite the end of Old Gloucester Road on the High Street and was subsequently renamed to King Georges Rest) whilst the blockage was cleared. He was very unhappy about this situation and set about planning the towns future. He threatened to remove the town from the coaching route, which was a very profitable asset for the town, unless his plan was sorted out. Because of this, in 1825 the current Gloucester Road was constructed and Old Gloucester Road came into being.

Old Gloucester Road Ross-on-Wye
Looking east down Old Gloucester Road
(Click for a larger image)

Old Gloucester Road Ross-on-Wye
Alms House on Old Gloucester Road
(Click for a larger image)

These are Perrock's Alms Houses and these were for poor widows and were originally founded by Richard Worcester in 1510.

More details can be found [ here ].


This building was the Blue Coat Charity school, and later the Walter Scott Charity School, and it was originally founded by Dr. Whiting in the early part of the 18th century.

More details can be found [ here ].

Old Gloucester Road Ross-on-Wye
School on Old Gloucester Road
(Click for a larger image)

Old Gloucester Road Ross-on-Wye
Looking west along Old Gloucester Road
(Click for a larger image)

Looking west along Old Gloucester Road towards some of the housing that lines the street.


Looking east towards Chase Road.

Old Gloucester Road Ross-on-Wye
Looking east along Old Gloucester Road
(Click for a larger image)

This is the Ross telephone exchange. It was one of the first flat roofs in the area to be built to trap water to maintain the waterproofing of the surface.

The telephone exchange on Old Gloucester Road
(Click for a larger image)

Old Gloucester Road Ross-on-Wye
Infants school on Old Gloucester Road
(Click for a larger image)

This was the site of the infants school until around 1889. At the time it was only a single storey building and the building was extended upwards after that time.


Looking west down Old Gloucester Road from the point where it meets Chase Road.

Old Gloucester Road Ross-on-Wye
Looking west along Old Gloucester Road
(Click for a larger image)

These are examples of the kind of road surfaces and designs that must have been used on all the roads throughout Ross before tar and chippings became the norm.

Examples of road surfaces
(Click for a larger image)


next New Street Old Maids Walk previous


[Page updated: Feb 15 2011 13:31:58]






Search the site

Ross-on-Wye.com & TheVista.co.uk
2002-2012 All Rights Reserved
Guestbook :: Contact details :: RSS News Feed News Feed

Share this article
Facebook Digg Reddit Magnolia Yahoo Google Stumbleupon Technorati Delicious Newsvine
[ Page views: 8246 :: Total page views: 5326497 :: Total visits: 4753980 ]
[ Since: 22:55 29 July 2005 ]
[ Page gen. time: 0.5581 ][ Page enc: gzip][ SERVER - Load: 344% ]