next Brookend Street Chase Road previous


Ross-on-Wye

Cantilupe Road

Cantilupe Road, Ross-on-Wye, runs diagonally from Gloucester Road to the junction with Small Brook Road, Station Street and Station Approach.

The view north on Cantilupe Road
Looking north east down Cantilupe Road
(Click for a larger image)

Since this photo was taken, Cantilupe Road and Henry Street have been converted to be one way (in February 2006). This is not the first time a plan to convert Cantilupe Road to a one way street has been proposed. Thirty-one years ago, in January 1975, a plan to convert the street was unanimously rejected by the Ross Town Council.

Site of Butchers Garage
The site of Butchers Garage
(Click for a larger image)

In 1906 this building was a garage used by Mr. Butcher, who had already established his own garage down in Brookend Street (and who also built his own airplane in 1910), and he joined forces with Mr. Casson, who was on the opposite side of Cantilupe Road, to form Butcher & Casson Ltd. They produced a wide range of hand-built motor vehicles, from cars to various vans to small lorries all built to order by the ten man team. They then exhibited their vehicles and cars in the road for all to see.


The part of the building that is currently "Grow Master Hydroponics" was "Cutters D.I.Y." shop and they had "Cutters Gym" upstairs, it then became a lamp shop run by, I believe, a Ms. Ann Taylor. More recently, in the late 1990's and early 2000's, after the lamp shop closed it was Ray Hill's Television Repair Shop.

Products sold by Cutters D.I.Y.
An example of products sold by Cutters D.I.Y.
(Click for a larger image)

Shops on Cantilupe Road
Some of the shops on Cantilupe Road
(Click for a larger image)

The small white shop on the right, currently S&R Taxis has had several uses. In the 1950's it was owned by Gwenny Pepper, who married Mr John Tugwell, and Gwenny Pepper ran it as a sweet shop called Peppers.

Since then it was the Cosey Cafe, which was, as the name suggests, a cafe, a bus shelter, as Cantilupe Road is the bus station in Ross, and now it is the base for S&R Taxis.

On the left of that was the original site of Bill Preece's Vegetable Shop. Prior to that it was Mr. Farmer's Antique Shop. I believe Mr. Farmer lived somewhere in Millpond Street.


The shop on the left of the shot, that is currently "Crow's Feet", was Mr. Dekins Grocery Store.

This was the original site of Bill Preece's shop and Mr. Dekins worked for him in the shop before, in 1970, Mr. Preece moved further down the road and Mr. Dekins had his own shop there until relatively recently. More details about Mr. Dekins can be found [ here].


This is the front of the Registry Office in Ross, previously, in 1887, it was a Baptist Chapel.

In the 1950's this used to be the Magistrates Court in Ross. The door you see in the middle of the building was the main entrance and at the rear used to be the entrance to the holding cells which were in the small extension on the back. This was where the prisoners were held until they were taken up into the dock to face the judge and returned after sentencing.

The Registry Office on Cantilupe Road
The Registry Office on Cantilupe Road
(Click for a larger image)

The north side of Cantilupe Road
The view of the northern side of Cantilupe Road
(Click for a larger image)

In the left of the shot is the site of the library in Ross. This used to be where the Board or Council School was in Ross. It was built in 1874, extended in 1889 and then closed as the Secondary School in 1953 when the John Kyrle High School opened. It then became the towns primary school until it was pulled down in 1969.


The shops on the left of the shot, behind the bus shelter, are a relatively new addition. This used to be a patch of waste ground belonging to Mr. Dekins and there were two big billboards on there advertising various items (I remember them being there in the 1980's). One was just beyond the house in the middle of the shot that is obscured by the tree. Behind that board was the "Red and White" bus company canteen. The other board was further down, by the steps seen in the photo below and right.

The south side of Cantilupe Road
Part of the southern side of Cantilupe Road
(Click for a larger image)

The view back along Cantilupe Road towards Gloucester Road (left)
and on towards the northern end of the road (right)
(Click for a larger image)

Front of what was the Board School
The front of what was the Board School
(Click for a larger image)

The two stone pillars are about all that remains of the Board School as these pillars used to support the fence that fronted the school.


"Ursells of Ross", the memorial masons, are one of the oldest companies in Ross and their works on Cantilupe Road can be traced back to 1885. The name "Ursell" appears in Gazetteers from 1876 indicating that the family has been around for longer.

Ursells on Cantilupe Road
Ursells on Cantilupe Road
(Click for a larger image)

Just off Cantilupe Road
Housing just off Cantilupe Road
(Click for a larger image)

These are some of the old houses just off Cantilupe Road, that are behind Ursells.


Several examples of houses on Cantilupe Road
(Click for a larger image)

Cantilupe Cafe and Gentlemans Hairdressers
The Cantilupe Cafe and Gentlemans Hairdressers
(Click for a larger image)
Houses on Cantilupe Road
Houses on Cantilupe Road
(Click for a larger image)

Site of TC Longfords Garage
Site of TC Longfords Garage
(Click for a larger image)

TC Longfords Garage
TC Longfords Garage
[Photo: J.C.Coombes]
(Click for a larger image)

The houses above are built on the site of TC Longfords car repair garage (left) and car hire yard. This was altered in 1996 and Cantilupe Mews were eventaully built on the site.

There used to be a entrance with a parking area at the front then further back was, I think, a corrugated iron workshop.


This building was designed as a car showroom for TC Longfords. They also used to sell car spares and do repairs in the brick building to the left of the showroom.

Subsequently the building was used by Newent Windows and it is currently used by Saymor Furnishers.

Site of TC Longfords car showroom
Site of TC Longfords car showroom
(Click for a larger image)

A view down Cantilupe Road
Looking towards the end of Cantilupe Road
(Click for a larger image)

The view towards the end of Cantilupe Road with Abbotsfield Funeral Directors on the right hand side (as seen here) and on the left is the site of TC Longfords car sales and show room.


This building can be seen on the left in the old postcard view below.

Abbotsfield on Cantilupe Road
Abbotsfield Funeral directors on the end of Cantilupe Road
(Click for a larger image)

A postcard view of Cantilupe Road
An old shot of Cantilupe Road
(Click for a larger image)

This postcard view of Cantilupe Road, interestingly spelt "Cantelupe Road" on the card, was postmarked in 1943.

On the right is the shop where Arthur Weale ran the Wye Valley Cycle and Gun Works, which has since been replaced by the TC Longfords Car Showroom and Garage and then Newent Windows.

(Postcard titled "Ross, Cantelupe Road" - published by Friths no. 54485)


This is the Wallace Hall Memorial before it was moved, and remodelled, from the junction to its present location at the entrance to Smallbrook Gardens.

Wallace Hall memorial before it was moved
The Wallace Hall memorial before it was moved
[Photo: J.C.Coombes]
(Click for a larger image)

On the right of Cantilupe Road, the tower of the Council School can be seen and just behind that, the site of the Chapel. On the left of the road, the building that is now Cantilupe Cafe and the Gentlemans Hairdressers can be seen.


Cantilupe Road Ross-on-Wye
Looking south west up Cantilupe Road
(Click for a larger image)

Old Photos of Cantilupe Road

Pram Race or Procession

Pram race on Cantilupe Road
Pram race on Cantilupe Road
[Publisher: H. Palmer, Ross-on-Wye]
(Click for a larger image)

This is a view of what appears to be a pram race or a procession starting on Cantilupe Road, going around onto Gloucester Road towards the Market Place, with a large crowd watching; some of the prams appear to be decorated with flowers.

On the right can be seen a garage (Butcher and Casson's) and there is a car parked on the side of the road with a man sitting a little further up the road. Just to the left of Cantilupe Road is an open space (where "Crows Feet" is now) with horse drawn carts parked on it. The first building on the left is the Baptist Chapel (now the registry office). On the side of that is a sign pointing down Henry Street advertising Arthur Overton who had a Stone Marble and Granite Monumental Works.


Crane at Ursells

The crane on Cantilupe Road
The crane on Cantilupe Road
[Photo: J.C.Coombes]
(Click for a larger image)
The crane at Ursells
The crane at Ursells
[Photo: J.C.Coombes]
(Click for a larger image)

In the yard at Ursells on Cantilupe Road stood a crane that was used for lifting the blocks of stone around. As can be seen in the photos, there was not even a fence around the site.

Monumental masons crane
Monumental masons crane
[Photo: J.C.Coombes]
(Click for a larger image)
A-frame crane
A-frame crane
[Photo: J.C.Coombes]
(Click for a larger image)

Ross, Cantelupe Road
Ross, Cantelupe Road
[Published by Friths no. 54485]
(Click for a larger image)

This postcard view of Cantilupe Road, interestingly spelt "Cantelupe Road" on the card, was postmarked in 1943.

On the right is the shop where Arthur Weale ran the Wye Valley Cycle and Gun Works, which has since been replaced by the TC Longfords Car Showroom and Garage and then Newent Windows.


The Wallace Hall Memorial

This is the Wallace Hall Memorial before it was moved, and remodelled, from the junction to its present location at the entrance to Smallbrook Gardens.

Wallace Hall memorial before it was moved
The Wallace Hall memorial before it was moved
[Photo: J.C.Coombes]
(Click for a larger image)

The Cantilupe Road Board School

The Board School fronted onto Cantilupe Road. After it was deemed unsafe for use and was condemed and a decision was made to demolish it.

Board School fronted onto Cantilupe Road
The Board School fronted onto Cantilupe Road
[Photo: J.C.Coombes]
(Click for a larger image)

The south-west end of the Board School
The south-west end of the Board School
[Photo: J.C.Coombes]
(Click for a larger image)

The middle section of the school was removed first and then the ends were demolished.


These two shots show the details of the frontage of the building. The windows, walls and eves of the roof are very detailed when compared to an equivalent modern building.

Part of the Board School, Ross-on-Wye
Part of the Board School, Ross-on-Wye
[Photo: J.C.Coombes]
(Click for a larger image)
A bay window of the Board School
A bay window of the Board School
[Photo: J.C.Coombes]
(Click for a larger image)

This shot, taken from Cantilupe Road looking over Ursells Monumental Works, shows the A-frames that formed the roof. To the right can be seen the tops of some of the more ornate windows.

North-east end of the Board School
North-east end of the Board School
[Photo: J.C.Coombes]
(Click for a larger image)

The two photos below show the inside of the Board School and the view over the Monumental Works after the roof joists have been removed.

The demolision of the Board School
The demolision of the Board School
[Photo: J.C.Coombes]
(Click for a larger image)
The roof with the joists removed
The roof with the joists removed
[Photo: J.C.Coombes]
(Click for a larger image)

The demolishion
The demolishion
[Photo: J.C.Coombes]
(Click for a larger image)

The demolishion of the school in the area of the bridge.


The demolishion of Cantilupe Road School
The demolishion of Cantilupe Road School
[Photo: J.C.Coombes]
(Click for a larger image)
Board School fronting onto Cantilupe Road
6 Board School fronting onto Cantilupe Road
[Photo: J.C.Coombes]
(Click for a larger image)

After the school was demolished all that was left was a large amount of rubble. This was then removed in preparation for the redevelopment of the site.

Board School fronting onto Cantilupe Road
5 Board School fronting onto Cantilupe Road
[Photo: J.C.Coombes]
(Click for a larger image)

Car Park

Site of the Board School
Site of the Board School
[Photo: J.C.Coombes]
(Click for a larger image)

After clearance of the Board School, the site was in use as a car park as seen in these three shots. The car park was entered and exited from Cantilupe Road, which was a two way road at the time.

One particular memory I have is of the puddle in the car park, as seen in the photo below left. This puddle was a permenant feature and seemed to be present even in the middle of summer. Whenever we visted the car park this always seemed to be the only free space and this often resulted in me getting wet feet when getting out the car.


The car park on the site of the Board School
The car park on the site of the Board School
[Photo: J.C.Coombes]
(Click for a larger image)
The site of the Board School after demolition
The site of the Board School after demolition
[Photo: J.C.Coombes]
(Click for a larger image)

By April 2005 plans were well under way to build the new Public Library on the site.

Horsa Huts

The bridge over Cantilupe Road was used to access the horsa huts, that were on the east side of the road. These were two rows of huts each split into two rooms and these formed four classrooms.

In the photo below the building on the right (furthest from Cantilupe Road) was split into two classrooms where the one on right was Fred Turner's and the one on the left was Mrs. Edwards.

The horsa huts
The horsa huts
[Photo: J.C.Coombes]
(Click for a larger image)

The photo below shows the left-hand end of the horsa hut nearest to Cantilupe Road and this was Mr. Williams' classroom.

The horsa huts
The horsa huts
[Photo: J.C.Coombes]
(Click for a larger image)

The photo below shows the right-hand end of the horsa hut nearest to Cantilupe Road and this was Danny Ball's classroom.

The horsa huts
The horsa huts
[Photo: J.C.Coombes]
(Click for a larger image)

The Cantilupe Road Bridge

Bridge Installation

During the 1950's, a bridge was built in front of the Board School allowing pupils to cross over Cantilupe Road to get the huts that were situated on the eastern side of the road. The photos below were taken as the bridge was being installed.

The bridge in Cantilupe Road
The bridge in front of the Board School
(Click for a larger image)
The bridge and crane on Cantilupe Road
The bridge and crane
(Click for a larger image)

The Bridge

The eastern end of the bridge
The eastern end of the bridge
[Photo: J.C.Coombes]
(Click for a larger image)
The western end of the bridge
The western end of the bridge
[Photo: J.C.Coombes]
(Click for a larger image)

This shot shows the patch of waste ground, to the left, marks the site of the steps that used to come down from the bridge to meet the high ground to the east side of Cantilupe Road.

The site of the steps down from the bridge (29-04-09)
The site of the steps down from the bridge
(Click for a larger image)

The bridge seen from Cantilupe Road
The bridge seen from Cantilupe Road
[Photo: J.C.Coombes]
(Click for a larger image)

These three photos show the bridge after the school was demolished and shortly before it was removed.


Bridge Removal

After the Board School was demolished, the bridge was removed circa 1987.

A crane was brought in and the centre span was unbolted, lifted and lowered onto a lorry to allow it to be transported away.

The Cantilupe Road bridge removal
The Cantilupe Road bridge removal
[Photo: J.C.Coombes]
(Click for a larger image)

The bridge being lifted
The bridge being lifted
[Photo: J.C.Coombes]
(Click for a larger image)
The centre span on the lorry
The centre span on the lorry
[Photo: J.C.Coombes]
(Click for a larger image)

The bus shelter in place of the bridge (17-8-08)
The bus shelter in place of the bridge
(Click for a larger image)

Once the legs that supported the bridge were removed, a recess remained in the wall that bounds the eastern side of Cantilupe Road. A bench was built into the recess and a roof added so that it can be used as a bus shelter as seen in the photo.


T.C.Longford on Cantilupe Road

T. C. Longford offices (29-04-09)
The new office block at the site of T. C. Longfords (Click for a larger image)

T. C. Longford
T. C. Longford
[Photo: J.C.Coombes]
(Click for a larger image)

Established in around 1924, this was originally Longford & Hicks garage who were motor engineers and it had a "Shell kerbside pump".

By 1950 the garage had become T.C.Longford Ltd and during the 1960's T.C.Longford's were also provided a driving school and car hire. It later became an Austin Rover dealership. By the 1980's the building had become dilapidated so the upper part of the building was demolished to allow the building of a new vehicle repair garage and offices.


T. C. Longford
The showroom from Cantilupe Road
[Photo: J.C.Coombes]
(Click for a larger image)
T. C. Longford
T. C. Longford's showroom
[Photo: J.C.Coombes]
(Click for a larger image)

T. C. Longford offices again (29-04-09)
The T. C. Longford offices (Click for a larger image)

The demolition of the upper showroom
The demolition of the upper showroom
[Photo: J.C.Coombes]
(Click for a larger image)
The cleared site of the upper showroom
The cleared site of the upper showroom
[Photo: J.C.Coombes]
(Click for a larger image)

In around 2000 T.C.Longfords ceased trading and the premesis became Newent Windows show room and following this, in around 2005, it became Saymor Furnishers Ltd when they moved from The Crofts.

T.C.Longfords site seen from Safeway
T.C.Longfords site seen from Safeway's car park
[Photo: J.C.Coombes]
(Click for a larger image)

Site of T. C. Longford showroom (29-04-09)
The site of T. C. Longfords showroom (Click for a larger image)

Development of Cantilupe Road

The Bill Boards on Cantilupe Road
The Bill Boards
[Photo: J.C.Coombes]
(Click for a larger image)

The Bill Boards on Cantilupe Road
The Bill Boards
[Photo: J.C.Coombes]
(Click for a larger image)

During May 1989 the east side of Cantilupe Road was excavated; this area of the street was an area of waste ground that was fronted by bill boards advertising all manner of products and services most likely positioned here to catch the attention of people using the buses at the bus station (which is also on Cantilupe Road).


The back of the Bill Boards
The back of the Bill Boards
[Photo: J.C.Coombes]
(Click for a larger image)
Excavations in progress
Excavations in progress
[Photo: J.C.Coombes]
(Click for a larger image)

The original idea was that this would be the site of the new local government offices but in the end it became a series of small shops (as seen above).

Excavations on Cantilupe Road
Excavations on Cantilupe Road
[Photo: J.C.Coombes]
(Click for a larger image)

Loading a lorry with spoil
Loading a lorry with spoil
[Photo: J.C.Coombes]
(Click for a larger image)
The excavations from above
The excavations from above
[Photo: J.C.Coombes]
(Click for a larger image)

The works continued
The works continued
[Photo: J.C.Coombes]
(Click for a larger image)


The boundary wall has been removed
The boundary wall has been removed
[Photo: J.C.Coombes]
(Click for a larger image)
The excavations from Cantilupe Road
The excavations from Cantilupe Road
[Photo: J.C.Coombes]
(Click for a larger image)

The view from inside the excavations
The view from inside the excavations
[Photo: J.C.Coombes]
(Click for a larger image)



next Brookend Street Chase Road previous


[Page updated: Feb 15 2011 13:31:58]






Search the site

Ross-on-Wye.com & TheVista.co.uk
2002-2012 All Rights Reserved
Guestbook :: Contact details :: RSS News Feed News Feed

Share this article
Facebook Digg Reddit Magnolia Yahoo Google Stumbleupon Technorati Delicious Newsvine
[ Page views: 46595 :: Total page views: 5858314 :: Total visits: 5261712 ]
[ Since: 22:55 29 July 2005 ]
[ Page gen. time: 0.1293 ][ Page enc: gzip][ SERVER - Load: 168% ]