next Ledbury Road Millpond Street previous


Ross-on-Wye

The Market House from Broad Street

A 'real photograph' postcard (unknown publisher) view of the Market House.

The Market Hall Ross-on-Wye
A postcard view of the Market House Ross-on-Wye
(Click for a larger image)

The Market Hall Ross-on-Wye
A postcard view of the Market House Ross-on-Wye
(Click for a larger image)

A postcard (unknown publisher due to damage to back of card) titled "Market Hall, Ross-on-Wye" most likely taken in the 1970's.


A postcard (published by E.T.W Dennis & Sons Ltd - no. H.2641) titled "The Market, Ross-on-Wye, Herefordshire" showing the Market House and it is postmarked 22nd August 1974.

The Market Ross-on-Wye
A postcard view of a Market in Ross-on-Wye
(Click for a larger image)

Ross, Market House
Ross, Market House (no. 67699)
[Published: Friths]
(Click for a larger image)

Under the back right of the market house, two people can just be made out watching what is going on and the man sat on the steps in the centre of the picture appears to be smoking his pipe. Under the market house, can be seen the fire ladder/trolley at the front corner and behind the left hand corner ofthe market house appears to be another ladder or a step ladder. Just to the left of the market house, is H. C. Jefferies who were a news agent and stationers.

After careful examination, the board by the door can be seen to read 'All the War News' thus dating the photo to somewhere between 1914-1918 (World War 1). Interestingly, if you look at the first two "Market Arches" pictures above, you can see that the board under the "Powles" shop front reads "All the War News" too.


This postcard, which was used in 1997 but the photo is from the 1970s, showing the Market Square and a market is in full flow selling various produce.

Ross-on-Wye, The Market Square
Ross-on-Wye, The Market Square (no. V.8401)
[Published: D. Constance Limited c.1970]
(Click for a larger image)

Ross, The Market House
Ross, The Market House (no. 76887)
[Published: Friths]
(Click for a larger image)

In Kyrle House is Hart's the chemist and the Ross Gazette dating the shot to post 1915. The library sign can also be seen above the Ross Gazette entrance. Interestingly, the time is exactly 9 o'clock according to the Market House clock.


In this shot of the Market House from Broad Street on the left the original W.H.Smiths sign can be clearly seen. In the middle of the shot the road sign showing the routes out of Ross has the roads to Coleford, Monmouth, Hereford and Gloucester marked.

The shops behind the Market House can be clearly seen; to the left is Hart's the Chemists, to the right is Lawerence & Fowler's print shop and in the shop directly behind the Market House can be seen To Let signs.

Market House Ross-on-Wye
Market House Ross-on-Wye (RS.137.F)
[Published: Friths c.1964]
(Click for a larger image)



next Ledbury Road Millpond Street previous


[Page updated: Feb 15 2011 13:31:58]






Search the site

Ross-on-Wye.com & TheVista.co.uk
2002-2012 All Rights Reserved
Guestbook :: Contact details :: RSS News Feed News Feed

Share this article
Facebook Digg Reddit Magnolia Yahoo Google Stumbleupon Technorati Delicious Newsvine
[ Page views: 62586 :: Total page views: 5914386 :: Total visits: 5311709 ]
[ Since: 22:55 29 July 2005 ]
[ Page gen. time: 0.1560 ][ Page enc: gzip][ SERVER - Load: 191% ]