next Ledbury Road Millpond Street previous


Ross-on-Wye

Market Place

The Market Place, Ross-on-Wye, runs from the High Street down to the point where it meets Broad Street between the Crown and Sceptre Inn and Going Places on the west side, WH Smiths and Superdrug on the east side and to the south by the High Street.

The Market Place used to run from the junction with New Street right up to St Mary's Street and along to the Gloucester Road junction although it is now much smaller.


The view of the north end of the Market Place out from under the front of the Market House.

Market Place Ross-on-Wye
The Market Place
(Click for a larger image)

Broad Street and Market Place
A postcard view out from under the Market House and down Broad Street
[No. 211831 published by Valentine & Sons]
(Click for a larger image)
Broad Street and Market Place
A postcard view out from under the Market House and down Broad Street
[No. H.5284 published by Valentine & Sons]
(Click for a larger image)

Market Place Ross-on-Wye
The Market Place
(Click for a larger image)

This view is looking down at the north end of the Market Place from the upper floor of the Market House.


This photo shows the shops bordering the east side of the Market Place. No. 10 is Superdrug up to No. 14 which is the Ark Pet Shop.

Market Place Ross-on-Wye (1-1-06)
The east side of the Market Place
(Click for a larger image)

Scrap Week in Ross
Scrap Week in the Market Place
[many thanks to Richard Mayo]
(Click for a larger image)

This is a postcard view (unknown publisher) of Scrap Week in Ross (between 19th and 24th August). This was supposedly to help the war effort but most of the metal was cast and hence completely useless. It was more of a moral boost for the populace to make them feel that they were doing something to help the war effort.


Here we see the shops bordering the west side of the Market Place. No.1 is now Q&S clothes shop down to no.7 which is Nationwide.

Market Place Ross-on-Wye (1-1-06)
The west side of the Market Place
(Click for a larger image)

Armoured cars in Ross
Armoured cars in the Market Place
[many thanks to Richard Mayo]
(Click for a larger image)

Here we see a postcard (unknown publisher) of armoured cars in the Market Place. This was presumably part of a recruitment drive and appears to have been in around the 1930's.

This card has a great shot of an old pram and a motorbike which can be seen in more detail below.


The pram
The pram
The motorbike
The motorbike

Underhill

Underhill Ross-on-Wye
Underhill taken from a plate as used by the Ross Gazette in 1871
(Click for a larger image)

Market Place Ross-on-Wye (1-1-06)
The Market Place looking south
(Click for a larger image)

Prior to, and during, the 19th century, the Gloucester Road side of the Market Place was covered by a row of shops called "Underhill". This area was also known as Under Hell, Behind Hell or Upon Hell. These variations are believed to be derived from the saxon word "helle" meaning dark place possibly leading to the idea that this was a very ancient row of shops.

Underhill was knocked down sometime in the early 1800's, most probably at the same time as Gloucester Road was built in 1825, and the east side of the Market Place was changed into what we see today.


The Market Place looking from the High Street.

Market Place
The Market House and Market Place from the High Street
(Click for a larger image)

Farmers Strike in Ross
A photo of the farmers strike in Ross
[many thanks to Richard Mayo]
(Click for a larger image)

On the 19th September 1974 at 11am, local farmers converged on the cross by the Market House. This was a futile attempt to draw attention to the very poor state of the farming industry; similar displays were held all across the EEC.


The Ross Town Band playing at the point where the Market Place meets Gloucester Road.

Market Place Ross-on-Wye
Ross Town Band
(Click for a larger image)

Market Place Ross-on-Wye
The Market House and Market Place
(Click for a larger image)

Looking from the Market Place towards the Market House and the High Street.


Here is an example of a wooden clothes hanger from A.J. Kiddle of Ross, who were a ladies and gentlemens tailors, and they had a shop at No. 7 Market Place, which is currently Nationwide.

Market Place Ross-on-Wye (5-2-06)
A.J. Kiddle clothes hanger Market Place
(Click for a larger image)

Market Place Ross-on-Wye (7-3-06)
Postcard of the Market Place
(Click for a larger image)

This is an example of how busy Ross market was in the past probably in the 1930's or 1940's. The underside of the Market Hall is screened off, presumably to make the back for a stall or as a wind break.

Taken from a "Phototype" postcard titled "The Market Hall, Ross-on-Wye" no. H5281 published by Valentine & Sons, Ltd.


This is a postcard view of the Market in the Market Place most likely to have been in the 1950's.

The Market in Broad Street
The Market in Broad Street, Ross on Wye.
[T.S.RS.93 published by Friths]
(Click for a larger image)

A market in progress
The Market Place Ross-on-Wye
[RS.96 - published by Friths]
(Click for a larger image)

Here a busy market is in progress and the policeman was, as usual, stood in the middle of the cross directing traffic.


Ross-on-Wye, Market Day
Ross-on-Wye, Market Day
[RS.64 - published by Friths]
(Click for a larger image)
Market House, Ross-on-Wye
Market House, Ross-on-Wye
[RS.18 - Unknown publisher]
(Click for a larger image)

The two photos used for the cards below were taken by John T. Pullen.

ROSS-ON-WYE The Market Square
ROSS-ON-WYE The Market Square
[V.8402 - published by D. Constance Ltd]
(Click for a larger image)
ROSS-ON-WYE The Market Square 2
ROSS-ON-WYE The Market Square c.1968
[V.8401 - published by D. Constance Ltd]
(Click for a larger image)

The Market, Ross on Wye, Herefordshire
The Market, Ross on Wye, Herefordshire
[H.026041L - published by E.T.W.Dennis & Sons Ltd]
(Click for a larger image)
Market Day, Ross-on-Wye c.1990
Market Day, Ross-on-Wye c.1990
[Unknown publisher]
(Click for a larger image)

Raynors prior to demolishion

Raynors was a department store that used to be in Ross. The building stood where Boots is now on the west side of the Market Place. The following photos show the area prior and during the demolition of the store.

The frontage of Raynors
The frontage of Raynors
[Photo: J.C.Coombes] (Click for a larger image)

Raynors from the top of the Market Place
Raynors from the top of the Market Place
[Photo: J.C.Coombes]
(Click for a larger image)
Raynors from the bottom of the Market Place
Raynors from the bottom of the Market Place
[Photo: J.C.Coombes]
(Click for a larger image)

The photos above show the frontage of Raynors and Dewhursts the butchers next door, which was not demolished, prior to the demolishion of the Raynors building from several angles.

The photo to the right shows some of the item left in the window after the shop closed.

The frontage of the building that replaced the Raynors one was designed to look similar to the original one.

An advert in Raynors window
An advert in Raynors window
[Photo: J.C.Coombes]
(Click for a larger image)

Raynors post demolishion

The Market Place as seen from the site
The Market Place as seen from the site
[Photo: J.C.Coombes]
(Click for a larger image)

The photo to the left is the view from Pigs Alley across the site where the building stood looking at the Market Place and the Market House.

The photos below show several view of the remains of the buildings either beside or on the site.


The site of Raynors as seen from the High Street
The site of Raynors as seen from the High Street
[Photo: J.C.Coombes] (Click for a larger image)
The back of the Raynors site
The back of the Raynors site
[Photo: J.C.Coombes]
(Click for a larger image)

Old Photos of the Market Place

The Market Place from Gloucester Road

The Market Place
A postcard view of the Market Place Ross-on-Wye
[published by Photocrom - no. 52729]
(Click for a larger image)

A postcard view of the Market House and Market Place. On the far right you can just see A. J. Kiddle and two tour buses that were based in Ross.


Farmers Strike

On the 19th September 1974, at 11am, local farmers converged on the cross, along with similar displays in all across the EEC. They did this to draw attention to the very poor state of the farming industry.

Farmers Strike in Ross
A photo of the farmers strike in Ross
[many thanks to Richard Mayo]
(Click for a larger image)

Armoured Cars

Armoured cars in Ross
Armoured cars in the Market Place
[many thanks to Richard Mayo]
(Click for a larger image)

Here we see a postcard (unknown publisher) of armoured cars in the Market Place. Presumably this was and part of a recruitment drive and looks to have been around the 1930's.

This card has a great shot of an old pram and a motorbike which can be seen in more detail below.


The pram
The pram
The motorbike
The motorbike

Scrap Week

This is a postcard view (unknown publisher) of Scrap Week in Ross (between 19th and 24th August). This was needed to help the war effort.

Scrap Week in Ross
Scrap Week in the Market Place
[many thanks to Richard Mayo]
(Click for a larger image)

Other pictures

A market in progress
The Market Place Ross-on-Wye
[RS.96 - published by Friths]
(Click for a larger image)

Here a busy market is in progress and the policeman was, as usual, stood in the middle of the cross directing traffic.


In this real photo postcard view of the Market Place there are three charabancs, full of people, and the nearest driver or navigator is just climbing into the front of the vehicle. There are also several parked cars around the charabancs.

Charabancs in the Market Place
Charabancs in the Market Place
[52730 - published by Photochrom Co. Ltd]
(Click for a larger image)

Raynors prior to demolishion

Raynors was a department store that used to be in Ross. The building stood where Boots is now on the west side of the Market Place. The following photos show the area prior and during the demolition of the store.

The frontage of Raynors
The frontage of Raynors
[Photo: J.C.Coombes] (Click for a larger image)

Raynors from the top of the Market Place
Raynors from the top of the Market Place
[Photo: J.C.Coombes]
(Click for a larger image)
Raynors from the bottom of the Market Place
Raynors from the bottom of the Market Place
[Photo: J.C.Coombes]
(Click for a larger image)

The photos above show the frontage of Raynors and Dewhursts the butchers next door, which was not demolished, prior to the demolishion of the Raynors building from several angles.

The photo to the right shows some of the item left in the window after the shop closed.

The frontage of the building that replaced the Raynors one was designed to look similar to the original one.

An advert in Raynors window
An advert in Raynors window
[Photo: J.C.Coombes]
(Click for a larger image)

Raynors post demolishion

The Market Place as seen from the site
The Market Place as seen from the site
[Photo: J.C.Coombes]
(Click for a larger image)

The photo to the left is the view from Pigs Alley across the site where the building stood looking at the Market Place and the Market House.

The photos below show several view of the remains of the buildings either beside or on the site.


The site of Raynors as seen from the High Street
The site of Raynors as seen from the High Street
[Photo: J.C.Coombes] (Click for a larger image)
The back of the Raynors site
The back of the Raynors site
[Photo: J.C.Coombes]
(Click for a larger image)

Shop Fronts

The shops/companies using the buildings is based on adverts from Ross Guide Books (so the dates are based on the estimations of the age of the guidebook) and when, more recently, photos have been taken of the current or recent businesses to use the buildings.

The lists of companies/shops at the addresses is not complete because if they did not advertise then they may not have been identified. The dates shown indicate when either adverts were noted or photos have been taken rather than when the shop or business opened.

7 Market Place

  • Nationwide Building Society [2006 to 2009]
  • Kids in Fashion [1975]
  • Melias Ltd [1935]
  • A. J. Kiddle [1910 to 1923]
  • H. J. Andrews [1910]

Nationwide Building Society
7 Market Place - Nationwide - 5 April 2006
7 Market Place in 2006
(Click for a larger image)

H. J. Andrews
7 Market Place circa 1910
7 Market Place circa 1910
(Click for a larger image)

H. J. Andrews
Clerical Tailor and Breeches Maker, Hatter, Hosier, Glover and Shirt Maker.
Large stock to select from.
Low Prices consistent with highest qualities.
Patterns Free.
5 per cent discount for cash.

Andrews Tailor and Hatter
Andrews Tailor and Hatter1
(Click for a larger image)

13 Market Place

The Central Cafe
13 Market Place
13 Market Place circa 1960
(Click for a larger image)
The Central Cafe
The Central Cafe2
(Click for a larger image)

The Central Bakery was one of the oldest family firms in Ross, was one of the founder members of Family Loaf Bakers, Avonmouth, and their premises occupied a prominent site in the Market Place which is a prime retail position in Ross.

Mr. Thomas Williams founded the Williams Central Bakery (Ross) Ltd. in 1921 when he acquired the business from Mr. A. E. Baldwin who was a Pastry Cook and Confectioner, baker and flour dealer and the shop was a tea rooms.

Thomas brought with him his horse and van that he had been using for deliveries from the general stores and post office that he had set up at Kingsthorne; the deliveries then became speedier with the introduction of motor vans.

The first floor of the building, before it was converted into offices, was before and after the war quite a social centre, being a popular place for dinners, whist drives and meetings.

The door to the Central Bakery
The door to the Central Bakery

His sons, Central Bakery directors, Trevor and Geoffrey Williams, recalled that in the days following the evacuation from Dunkirk a large number of troops were stationed in Ross and 270 meals were served four times a day to these troops and afterwards, the upstairs cafe became an officers' mess.

At its peak the business had 40 employees with four vans serving Mr. Stan Little's bakery, Brookend Street, which they had taken over and a shop in St. Owen's Street, Hereford. Besides the wholesale business they were making 1,000 retail deliveries.


His son, Mr. Geoffrey Williams, then took over the business and then his son, Mr. Michael Williams, joined the board of directors in 1986 at the age of 21 to become the third generation running the business3.

Michael trained at North Gloucestershire College of Arts and Technology after leaving Wycliffe College, Stonehouse. He took over the day to day running of the bakery and the management of around 20 employees in January 1986. His father, Geoffrey, took over as the chairman of the business when his brother Mr. Trevor Williams (Michael's uncle) relinquished the chairmanship. Trevor remained as a director and also lent a hand in the bakery when needed along with Michael's aunts, Frances and Jean.

Each day the business turns out more than 100 kinds of cakes, buns and rolls, along with speciality celebration cakes.

During an interview with the Ross Gazette Michael said:


Since I joined the firm, I have introduced a number of new lines including the Herefordshire lardie, apple and cherry strudels and lemon doughnuts.

I am now developing some new recipe ideas, one of which has strong local history connections.

In March 1991 the business was taken over by a nationwide concern, Rank, Hovis and McDougall. They had, in 1991, 200 shops in the UK in an area stretching from Middlesborough to Plymouth and now Ross to Dover. Most of the shops traded under the name of "Three Cooks" or "Sarah's Restaurants" and the Ross shop became a "Three Cooks".

13 Market Place - Three Cooks - 5 April 2006
13 Market Place in 2006 (Click for a larger image)

The Williams family retained the ownership of the shop, kitchen and bakery in Ross and leased it to RHM. Mr. Geoffrey Williams continued as chairman of Swansea Bakeries, a wholesale company he helped to form in 1985 and with 20 employees supplies bread and cakes over a wide area of South Wales.

RHM then spent around 40,000 on refurbishing the Ross premises and further developing the take-away and catering side of the business whilst the shop continued to bake bread, rolls and buns and confectionery on the premises4.

On the 1st November 2006, Three Cooks suddenly went into administration5 and all the shops closed without warning, which came as a shock to the staff.

During 2007 and 2008 the shop was empty or let for short term lease such as to Neat n Cheap when they moved from Gloucester Road. Planning permission was granted to demolish the building and put a new retail unit and flats on the site and it was rumoured that M&S Simply Food were looking at potentially coming to Ross. Unfortunately they carried out one of their foot fall surveys on a particularly quiet day in the town and the economic downturn had started and they decided not to come to Ross.

In January 2009 planning permission was requested to change the use and frontage of the site and following this, in August 2009, Costa Coffee opened their shop after substantial changes were made to open up the interior of the premises.

Costa Coffee Shop Ross-on-Wye
Costa Coffee (on the 9/8/09 before it opened) (Click for a larger image)


1 - The Wye Valley Illustrated from Hereford to Chepstow
No.323 Burrows Royal Handbooks [Fifth Edition c.1910] published by Edward J. Burrow
2 Ross - The Gateway of the Wye Valley - Ross-on-Wye Chamber of Commerce [c.1960]
3 Ross Gazette - 30/1/86
4 Assurance on jobs as bakery is taken over - Ross Gazette - 21/3/91
5 Bakery jobs may go - Express and Star - Friday, November 3rd, 2006 - http://www.expressan.../bakery-jobs-may-go/

The Market House from Gloucester Road

A postcard (published by J. Salmon - no. 1881) view of the Market House taken circa 1910 as the plaster has been removed from the Saracens Head but not the shop next door.

An air of inquisitive suspicion that seems to emanate from the men grouped together in the bottom left of the shot. They somehow manage to look slightly like a flock of sheep that have grouped together for protection.

A postcard view from the Wye
A postcard view of the Market House
(Click for a larger image)

A postcard view Ross on Wye
A postcard view of the Market House Ross-on-Wye
(Click for a larger image)

A postcard (published by Phototype - no. 52728) view of the Market House from the direction of Gloucester Road. This is believed to be c. 1920 as the Saracens Head building had had the plaster removed showing the woodwork and that was not completely removed until 1920. Interesting points are the Norwich Union Fire Office, various old cars and a great banner over the Chemists shop advertising that it sells Kodak supplies.


A postcard (published by Frith's - no. 32427) view of the Market House from the direction of Gloucester Road. The picture is pre-1905 as the woodwork of the old Saracens Head Pub is still covered over in plaster and this was removed in around 1905.

A postcard view Ross on Wye
A postcard view of the Market House Ross-on-Wye
(Click for a larger image)

A postcard view Ross on Wye
A postcard view of the Market House Ross-on-Wye
(Click for a larger image)

A postcard (published by E.T.W Dennis & Sons Ltd.) view of the Market House from the direction of Gloucester Road.


A postcard (published by Photochrom Co. Ltd. - no. E_40408) view of the Market Place from the direction of Gloucester Road.

A postcard view Ross on Wye
A postcard view of the Market Place Ross-on-Wye
(Click for a larger image)

A postcard view Ross on Wye
A postcard view of the Market House Ross-on-Wye
(Click for a larger image)

A postcard (unknown publisher - no. 10363 - circa 1908?) view of the Market House from the direction of Gloucester Road.


A postcard (published by Photochrom Co. Ltd. - no. V1299 - circa 1940) view of a vary busy day around the Market House taken from the direction of Gloucester Road.

Interestingly the Market House clock shows exactly midday and J. M. Dewhust's the butchers is in the bulding that is currently 'The Card Shop' and 'Melias' is where 'Nationwide' is now.

A postcard view Ross on Wye
A postcard view of the Market House Ross-on-Wye
(Click for a larger image)

A postcard view Ross on Wye
A postcard view of the Market House Ross-on-Wye
(Click for a larger image)

A postcard (unknown publisher but it is from the "Wye Studio" series - early 1900).

Under the Market House, a child can be seen standing next to the end pillar and the fire ladder plus cart can be seen. To the right of the Market House is the Fire and Life Insurance Offices and above that is a sign for a House & Estate Agents with a child walking up in front of the building.


To the left of the Market House there is a what looks like either two Police Men or a Police Man and a man talking to to him. Both of whom are stood in the road. There is a man ready to climb up a ladder to the front of one of the shops and a general on looker to the far left. Behind the Market House, you can just make out the hexagonal post box that used to be there.


A postcard (published by Photocrom - no. 71127) titled "Ross-on-Wye, Market Hall" showing the Market House and was probably taken circa 1920.

Although it is a very poor card and looks highly over exposed, it also appears to be a copy of another card because in the bottom left there is the feint outline of the words "Market Hall Ross".

On the left of the shot can be seen the "India & China Tea Co. Ltd" shop and there are a number of watchers under the market house. Also there is a small dog stood in the middle of the road in the bottom right of the shot.

The Market Ross-on-Wye
A postcard view of a Market in Ross-on-Wye
(Click for a larger image)

The Market Ross-on-Wye
A postcard view of the Market Hall in Ross-on-Wye
(Click for a larger image)

A postcard (published by Raphael Tuhk & Sons - no. 1581) titled "Market Hall, Ross" showing the Market House and was probably taken circa 1900.

This is a particularly interesting card as it shows how truely sleepy Ross was at the turn of the 19th-20th century. When you consider that the horse is stood in in the middle of the main road to London, then you can see that traffic, that currently dogs the town, was not an issue.


The horse looks like it is dozing in the sun, whilst the man on the far left lights his pipe and a man strolls down the middle of the road. The atmosphere looks warm and relaxed as there are two children lounging and watching from under the market house and on the far right there is a man who just managed to get into the shot.

Horse in the road
An enlargement of the horse in the road
(Click for a larger image)

Just above and behind the horse, you can see a sign for the 'Great Western Railway Office' in the town and one for Watsons Ironmongers, who were established in 1741 and where still going under the name "Watson & Son (Ross) Ltd" in 1984.


The Market Ross-on-Wye
The Market House in Ross-on-Wye
(Click for a larger image)

A postcard (published by Salmon - no. 3924c) titled "The Market Hall, Ross-on-Wye" showing the Market House and was probably taken circa 1970.

This is one of the only postcards I have seen which have the National Provincial Bank in the shot.


A postcard (a Misch & Co.'s "Camera Graph" - no. 639/6) titled "Old Market Hall, Ross" showing the Market House and Market Place and is a pre 1900 shot.

The Market Ross-on-Wye
The Market House in Ross-on-Wye
(Click for a larger image)

The Market Ross-on-Wye
A postcard view of the Market Hall in Ross-on-Wye
(Click for a larger image)

A postcard (published by Ernest Joyce & Co. Ltd) titled "Market Hall, Ross on Wye" showing the Market House and Market Place in the 1970's.

In the middle of the cross between Broad Street, Gloucester Road and High Street is a police man directing traffic. Under the Market House there is a market and in front of the Market Hall is a yellow bubble car with its front open.

To the far left of the shot, where Thorntons is now, is a Wine a Spirits shop next to the Chemists. To the far right can be seen the National Provincial Bank with Raynors in the background.


A real photo postcard (unknown publisher) titled "Ye Olde Market House, Ross-on-Wye" showing the Market House and Market Place in the 1930's.

On the left, the Library sign can be clearly seen above the place where the Ross Gazette Office doorway. The Ross Gazette was also the "Depot for Swan Pens" at this time.

The Market Ross-on-Wye
A postcard view of the Market Hall in Ross-on-Wye
(Click for a larger image)

The Market Ross-on-Wye
A postcard view of the Market Place in Ross-on-Wye
(Click for a larger image)

A postcard (published by E.S. London - no. 1225) titled "Ross-on-Wye The Old Market Place" showing the Market House and Market Place in around 1910.


Old Photo circa 1950's

A real photo postcard (published by Salmon - no. 20444) titled "The Market House, Ross-on-Wye" showing the Market House and Market Place in around 1950.

Here you can see how the popularity of cars has increased and in the middle of the Gloucester Road and High Street junction there is a policeman directing traffic (hence the white arm covers). The policemen who stood there often had a white spot on the ground in order to maintain their position.

The Market Ross-on-Wye
A postcard view of the Market Place in Ross-on-Wye
(Click for a larger image)

This card also shows many of the old shops that used to be around the Market House and on the west side of the Market Place.

To the left can be seen "Burton's" which was a family grocers and off license. Their delivery van is parked outside the shop. Burtons was established in 1858 and sold groceries, provisions, cooked meats, confectionary wines, spirits, bottled beers and ciders.

Behind the van there is a man stood on something (possibly a scaffold) and he appears to be painting the shop that is there.

To the far right is "Melias Ltd" (now "Nationwide") and next to that is "J.H. Dewhurst Ltd" who were a butchers (it is now The Card Shop). Next to that is Raynors who were drapers, costumiers and furnishers and were agents for Liberty Famous Fabrics, Rodex Travel Coats, Burberry Rain Coats, Jaeger and Wolsey, Christy and Osman Towels and Early's Witney Blankets. They also sold carpets, rugs and linoleum and loose covers and other upholstering items. This is now the site of "Boots" the chemists.


New Photo

A couple of views of the Market House and Market Place taken in August and December 2005 for comparison between the present and past.

A postcard view Ross on Wye
A view of the Market House Ross-on-Wye (Aug '05)
(Click for a larger image)
A postcard view Ross on Wye
A view of the Market Place Ross-on-Wye (Dec '05)
(Click for a larger image)

Old Photo circa 1925

A postcard (published by Friths - no. 76889 - posted 1925) titled "Ross, Market Place" showing the Market Place, Market House and the High Street.

Unfortunately the picture is not very sharp so the detail is very indistinct. Interesting points are the cars on the right of the shot, the pony (or donkey/mule?) and trap in front of the Market House and that the Market House clock shows exactly one o'clock.

The Market Ross-on-Wye
The Market House in Ross-on-Wye
(Click for a larger image)

Old Photo circa 1950's
The Market Ross-on-Wye
A postcard view of the Market Hall in Ross-on-Wye
(Click for a larger image)

A real photo postcard (published by Photo Precision - no. 9544) titled "Market Place, Ross-on-Wye, Wye Valley" showing the Market House and Market Place.

The vehicles are particularly clear in this shot. To the far right is a van with "Lyons Swiss Rolls" written on the side.

The bust of Charles II on the end of the Market House can be seen to be in poor condition, this was taken down in 1955 and crumbled away and was replaced by a new one in 1959, thus dating the photo to pre 1955. It is also possible to just make out what looks like a telephone box under the market house itself. To the left, along the line of the High Street, there are quite a few people and various shops including Hart's the Chemist, The Ross Gazette Office, Quality Cleaners and Watson and Sons hardware store.


New Photo

A similar of view of the Market House and Market Place taken in December 2005 for comparison.

A postcard view Ross on Wye
A view of the Market House Ross-on-Wye (Aug '05)
(Click for a larger image)

The Market House from the High Street

Old Photo
A postcard view of the Market House
A postcard view of the Market House Ross-on-Wye
(Click for a larger image)

A postcard (published by Photo-Precision Ltd - no. 3995) view of the Market House looking down the High Street.

New Photo

A similar view (taken in September 2005) of the Market House.

A view of the Market House
A similar view of the Market House Ross-on-Wye
(Click for a larger image)

The Market House from Broad Street

A 'real photograph' postcard (unknown publisher) view of the Market House.

The Market Hall Ross-on-Wye
A postcard view of the Market House Ross-on-Wye
(Click for a larger image)

The Market Hall Ross-on-Wye
A postcard view of the Market House Ross-on-Wye
(Click for a larger image)

A postcard (unknown publisher due to damage to back of card) titled "Market Hall, Ross-on-Wye" most likely taken in the 1970's.


A postcard (published by E.T.W Dennis & Sons Ltd - no. H.2641) titled "The Market, Ross-on-Wye, Herefordshire" showing the Market House and it is postmarked 22nd August 1974.

The Market Ross-on-Wye
A postcard view of a Market in Ross-on-Wye
(Click for a larger image)

Ross, Market House
Ross, Market House (no. 67699)
[Published: Friths]
(Click for a larger image)

Under the back right of the market house, two people can just be made out watching what is going on and the man sat on the steps in the centre of the picture appears to be smoking his pipe. Under the market house, can be seen the fire ladder/trolley at the front corner and behind the left hand corner ofthe market house appears to be another ladder or a step ladder. Just to the left of the market house, is H. C. Jefferies who were a news agent and stationers.

After careful examination, the board by the door can be seen to read 'All the War News' thus dating the photo to somewhere between 1914-1918 (World War 1). Interestingly, if you look at the first two "Market Arches" pictures above, you can see that the board under the "Powles" shop front reads "All the War News" too.


This postcard, which was used in 1997 but the photo is from the 1970s, showing the Market Square and a market is in full flow selling various produce.

Ross-on-Wye, The Market Square
Ross-on-Wye, The Market Square (no. V.8401)
[Published: D. Constance Limited c.1970]
(Click for a larger image)

Ross, The Market House
Ross, The Market House (no. 76887)
[Published: Friths]
(Click for a larger image)

In Kyrle House is Hart's the chemist and the Ross Gazette dating the shot to post 1915. The library sign can also be seen above the Ross Gazette entrance. Interestingly, the time is exactly 9 o'clock according to the Market House clock.


In this shot of the Market House from Broad Street on the left the original W.H.Smiths sign can be clearly seen. In the middle of the shot the road sign showing the routes out of Ross has the roads to Coleford, Monmouth, Hereford and Gloucester marked.

The shops behind the Market House can be clearly seen; to the left is Hart's the Chemists, to the right is Lawerence & Fowler's print shop and in the shop directly behind the Market House can be seen To Let signs.

Market House Ross-on-Wye
Market House Ross-on-Wye (RS.137.F)
[Published: Friths c.1964]
(Click for a larger image)

The Market House Arches

Old Photo circa 1914
A postcard view of Ross-on-Wye
A postcard view out from under the Market House Ross-on-Wye
(Click for a larger image)

A postcard (published by Frith's - no. 67701) view of the arches under the Market House looking towards Gloucester Road from around 1914 (World War 1).


Old Photo circa 1914

A postcard (published by Frith's - no. 67701) view of the arches under the Market House looking towards Gloucester Road from around 1914 (World War 1) but this one has had colour added to enhance the card.

To the right of the picture, is H.C. Jefferies news agent (the shop with Powle over the door) with "All the war news" written next to the door dating the card to World War I and the "Ross Gazette" moved into that shop in around 1915. This sign can also be seen in one of the views of the Market House from Broad Street. It is also possible to see that the News Agent was "The SPCK depot" but I am not sure what this means.

A postcard view of Ross-on-Wye
A postcard view out from under the Market House Ross-on-Wye
(Click for a larger image)

Next, on the left of H.C. Jefferies, is "Matthews Chemist & Drugist" with it's signs on the outside of the shop and futher to the left there is another sign on the pavement leaning against the wall. This can also be seen in the shot taken from Broad Street.

Futher left again, there is a car and above that the word 'Hotel' can just be seen. This is likely to be part of the George Hotel that used to be on the corner of Gloucester Road and High Street.

In the centre of the shot is the south side of Gloucester Road before it was redeveloped and on the corner of Gloucester Road and Broad Street is the National Provincial Bank.

On the far left it is possible to just make out the name 'Raymond' on the shop front.


Old Photo circa 1916
A postcard view of Ross-on-Wye
A postcard view out from under the Market House Ross-on-Wye
(Click for a larger image)

A postcard (published by Frith's - no. 84590 [I think]) view of the arches under the Market House looking towards Gloucester Road. On the back is printed "T.N.T" - To-day Not to-morrow! - The Minister of Production

This is a later view out from under the market arches. This view is probably around 1916 because this was when the "Ross Gazette" moved from its original location at the junction of Church Street and High Street down to Kyrle House. My grandad helped them move when he was 14 and then worked for them for the next 50 years until he retired.


New Photo 2005

A similar view (taken on 25th September 2005) out from under the Market House, the main change being the ever-present cars in Ross.

A postcard view of Ross-on-Wye
A similar view out from under the Market House Ross-on-Wye
(Click for a larger image)

Old Photo circa 1920
A postcard view of Ross-on-Wye
A postcard view out from under the Market House Ross-on-Wye
(Click for a larger image)

A postcard (published by Valentine's - no. 211831 - circa 1920) view out from the arches under the Market House looking down Broad Street.


New Photo 2005

A similar view out from the arches under the Market House looking down Broad Street taken in November 2005.

When comparing the new picture and the old postcard view, you can see that there are various changes. The roofs and upper floors of the buildings have hardly changed, but the lower part containing the shop frontages have dramatically changed but the Crown and Sceptre can be seen in both. The road layout has also changed and there is now no parking in front of the market house and there is now no roadway down the left side of the market house. In the postcard view there are trees to be seen in the distance which has now been replaced by housing.

A postcard view of Ross-on-Wye
The view out from under the Market House Ross-on-Wye
(Click for a larger image)



next Ledbury Road Millpond Street previous


[Page updated: Feb 15 2011 13:31:58]






Search the site

Ross-on-Wye.com & TheVista.co.uk
2002-2012 All Rights Reserved
Guestbook :: Contact details :: RSS News Feed News Feed

Share this article
Facebook Digg Reddit Magnolia Yahoo Google Stumbleupon Technorati Delicious Newsvine
[ Page views: 62587 :: Total page views: 5914390 :: Total visits: 5311713 ]
[ Since: 22:55 29 July 2005 ]
[ Page gen. time: 0.4300 ][ Page enc: gzip][ SERVER - Load: 304% ]