next Millpond Street Old Gloucester Road previous

<< < [The Street] [Shop fronts] > >>
View full page

Ross-on-Wye

New Street

New Street, Ross-on-Wye, runs east - west from Edde Cross Street to the point where Broad Street meets the Market Place and runs in parallel to Kyrle Street. This street was originally known as "Back Lane" and is was likely to have originally been a lower access road to the Market Place allowing easier access from the west side of Ross.

This street was built up during the 17th and 18th century. The buildings on the south side retain much of their origional character although the poorer houses on the north side of the street were rebuilt in the early 20th century.

Today it is quite a quiet street with housing and offices along its length although in the 18th century New Street had many nail shops employing over 100 skilled workers.


The view east from Edde Cross Street down New Street. To the left you can just see the sign for the Horse and Jockey which is the only pub on New Street.

New Street Ross-on-Wye
Looking east down New Street
(Click for a larger image)

New Street Ross-on-Wye
Multicore Solders site
(Click for a larger image)

The site of Multicore Solders factory on the junction between New Street and Edde Cross Street.


The Old Jail is the larger building in the background. The forground building used to be housing and was also a pram shop.

New Street Ross-on-Wye
The Old Jail
(Click for a larger image)

New Street Ross-on-Wye
The site of the Ross dispensary
(Click for a larger image)

This building was used as Ross Dispensary and later became become Ross Dispensary and Cottage Hospital.

The Dispensary in Ross was setup by James Wallace Richard Hall in 1825 and started out at Brookend then moved to New Street where by 1876 it had become Ross Dispensary and Cottage Hospital. Then in around 1879 a new Cottage Hospital was built on Gloucester Road (which has since demolished in around 2000 and turned into retirement flats) which resulted in the Dispensary closing and has since been used as housing and offices.


The view looking west back up New Street towards Edde Cross Street with Merton House in the distance.

New Street Ross-on-Wye
The view west back up New Street
(Click for a larger image)

New Street Ross-on-Wye
The view east down New Street
(Click for a larger image)

The view looking east down New Street towards Broad Street.


The view west up New Street from Broad Street.

The two shops, the "Balfour News" news agents to the left and "Barnardo's" charity shop to the right, are built on the sites of the Upper and Lower Bell Forge. This seems to date back to the 17th century and seems to imply there was a bell forge here.

New Street Ross-on-Wye
The view west up New Street
(Click for a larger image)


<< < [The Street] [Shop fronts] > >>
View full page

next Millpond Street Old Gloucester Road previous


[Page updated: Feb 15 2011 13:31:59]






Search the site

Ross-on-Wye.com & TheVista.co.uk
2002-2012 All Rights Reserved
Guestbook :: Contact details :: RSS News Feed News Feed

Share this article
Facebook Digg Reddit Magnolia Yahoo Google Stumbleupon Technorati Delicious Newsvine
[ Page views: 14451 :: Total page views: 5326455 :: Total visits: 4753919 ]
[ Since: 22:55 29 July 2005 ]
[ Page gen. time: 0.1812 ][ Page enc: gzip][ SERVER - Load: 451% ]